Chapter 2: Astra

All I could do was run through the thick veil of darkness. Every now and again, I would hear a familiar voice or see a familiar face but I couldn't speak to them. Or they couldn't hear me? Drake's face floated by and I yelled for help. Nothing. So I decided to rest. Just lie on the ground and close my eyes.

"CONRAD!"

My eyes snapped open and I was in my bed wearing my pajamas. When did I change? Did someone change me? I noticed Drake standing over me. He looked worried and half asleep.

"Are you ok, Con? You were kinda yelling in your sleep...."

"Drake! I am so glad that you are here. The new girl was here! She broke into my house like a psycho to get her cell back!"

"What?"

"Yeah! And her cell was all crazy. It glowed and projected these...uh...holograms! Holograms of runes were all over my room."

"...Holograms?" Drake asked hesitantly.

"Well I don't know if that's what its called or not but it's the best way I could describe it. Oh and she stuck me with a needle. How long have I been out?"

"Um...the night. We have to sleep at night, remember?"

"I was out the whole night?"

"Yeah", replied Drake while walking over to a blue duffel bag and taking out a change of clothes.

"So you mind if I hop in the shower first?"

I stared at him in disbelief. "Drake, I just told you that some crazy girl broke into my house and stabbed me with a needle."

Drake looked unsure of what to say. "Um...Conrad...I've been with you since Friday night. No one's come into your house. Well besides your grandma."

Why did he say Friday night? Wasn't that just yesterday?

"Drake, I was passed out on my floor Friday night."

I paused...why is Drake here? I invited him over but I couldn't have let him in. Especially not after I passed out.

"How did you get in?"

Drake's face showed a mix of confusion and concern.

"Dude...are you sure you're alright? You are saying and asking some strange things...like about the new girl's phone. When did you even get that thing? I think you just had a really vivid dream."

Drake grabbed his towel and exited my room. Dread began to spread in my body. Drake had given me the cell. Why is he acting like he didn't? I began to frantically look for my phone. I found it plugged into the charger. I unlocked my phone and looked at the date. I felt my eyes widen in alarm. It was Monday.

I had been out all weekend. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a sheet of paper on my dresser. Someone opened my letter? I still hadn't read it. She must've opened it. I searched my room for proof that Friday night had happened. I found dust bunnies, dirty socks, and some coins. I even tried in vain to look for the tiny hole where she injected my arm.

Was I going crazy? Did it actually happen or did I make it all up? Then I saw it caught on the window's lock, a thin strand of pale blond hair that shimmered in the sunlight. I untangled it from the window. It did happen.

"Your turn."

I quickly hid my proof. "Yeah...I was thinking about what you said and...I actually don't feel good. So I'm not going to school."

"Ok. Did you want me to stay?"

"So your mom can chew me out for being a bad influence the next time I see her? No thanks."