Chapter 3: Friends

It became routine. I would spend almost every day at Astra's house when she was there and I would pester her with questions. Astra ignored most of them but would sometimes surprise me and answer a question when I expected silence. She never mentioned where she would disappear to and I didn't ask.  Today, I had brought over my game system to show her videos games. She was surprisingly good at them despite being a complete newbie. I watched her defeat every player in capture the flag in the "Honor & Bravery" war game, including Drake. I could hear Drake cursing me out. He probably didn't realize it wasn't me since she was using my username.

            "And you have never touched a game in your life?"

"I've only been here for about five years or so."

            "...On this planet?"

She scowled at me.

            "No, I meant the United States."

            "Oh. Where were you before?"

            "The Middle East."

            "Really?"

Her face betrayed her feelings. She had regretted answering that question. Astra dropped the remote and stalked off. I heard her in the kitchen. Probably baking. I noticed that Astra had a real sweet tooth. There was more cookie dough in her freezer than anything else. My curiosity was piqued though. Why was she in the Middle East? I heard her cell buzzing violently and it was beginning to glow.

            "Astra! Your phone is glowing!"

She rushed back into the living room and picked up her cell. I saw her eyes harden as she looked at the display.

            "Conrad, please go outside."

            "Why?"

            "Just go."

            "But my stuff is—"

            "NOW!"

I had never once heard Astra yell. I quickly stepped outside her house. She drew the curtains to the living room window but it couldn't completely block the violet glow. I strained my ears but I could only catch snippets of what she was saying. Something about "short notice"... "ill prepared"..."users"..."I will retrieve it"... I sighed, exasperated. I wish I could hear the other side of this conversation.  The only thing I could grasp was Astra had sounded strained and she would retrieve something.

Then again, it's not like they'd be speaking English anyways.  After a few minutes of pacing by her door, Astra reappeared. I followed her as she walked back to the kitchen. P.K. was sleeping on a stepping stool nearby. She was preparing chocolate chip cookies. I watched her for a few minutes before breaking the silence.

            "...So...is everything ok?"

            "All is well, Conrad. You may resume your game."

Her voice was even. I would be lying to myself if I didn't admit that it stung me. From the half of the conversation that I could hear it sounded pretty damn serious. I had hoped we had grown a little closer after all the time we have spent together. I considered that we were possibly even...friends.

"The cookies will be done soon and I was thinking of ordering something to eat. Is there anything in particular you're craving?"

Why won't she tell me? This is going to ruin my mood for the rest of the night. I breathed in deeply.

"Actually it's kind of late. I was thinking about packing up and heading home."

            Astra put the spoon full of cookie dough down. "You have gone home later than this before. "

"Yeah...I know. But my Grandma's been riding me about coming home earlier. So I have to go."

She shook her head, shrugged her shoulders and resumed putting drops of cookie dough onto the pan.

"I see. Very well. I will see you some other time then."

So just like that? You're not even going to question that I'm leaving so abruptly.  Annoyed, I walked over to the living room and began to pack up my stuff. I heard her on the phone ordering dinner. Why is she acting like everything's fine? I heard the stress in her voice when talking to...whatever damn thing she was talking to.  My backpack was hanging off my shoulder before I decided I couldn't leave without saying anything. It's going to eat at me. I dropped my backpack by the front door and walked back towards the kitchen. She had just placed the tray of cookies in the oven. Astra glanced at me while walking over to the sink.

Washing her hands she said to me, "I thought you were leaving."

            I hated it! Her tone of voice...her face...always the same indifferent expression and calm tone of voice.             

            "You're really not going to tell me?!"

She didn't seem startled by my yelling. But P.K. woke up surprised, his blue eyes wider than usual.  Astra went over to comfortingly stroke P.K.

            "There's no reason to shout."

            "That is exactly what I'm talking about!"

"Really? Because all you've mentioned is my refusal to divulge my private call to you. I am not privy to the conversations you have in your head. So perhaps you would like to explain yourself."

"You mean the fact that you seem to lack emotions? Besides blah that is."

"And what is "blah"?"

"Blah is the expression you have on your face all the time. Like nothing fazes you. Or bothers you. Even your voice is like that."

"And this troubles you?"

"It troubles me because I can't tell what you're thinking most of the time. But I do know that that call you just got...shook you up. And yet you're baking cookies like everything's fine."

Astra closed her eyes and put her hand to her forehead.

"I still don't understand what is upsetting you. From what you're saying my demeanor bothers you. However, this shouldn't affect you."

"But it does! Because we're friends! ...Aren't we?"

She stayed quiet for a little too long.

            "Astra, aren't we friends?"

Her mouth became a thin line.

            "Your definition of friends differs from mine."

            "What are you saying? That...we're not friends?"

            "Why is this so important to you?"

"Because it is! I thought we were friends. Friends trust and confide in each other. I know that we haven't known each other for that long but I feel like we've gotten close. ...Are we friends or not?"

"...It's not that simple...."

There was a pain in my chest. This is hurting me way more than I want to admit.

            "Well I think it is. You've made your answer pretty clear."

I quickly spun around, grabbed my stuff, and walked out her door. I slammed it shut as I walked out. I had honestly considered her as a friend. Her rejection cut into my chest. Once I made sure that the coast was clear, I ran directly to my room. I signed and laid down in bed. The more I thought of Astra, the more I wanted to know. If she didn't consider us friends...why put up with me? Did she tolerate me so that I would stop trying to expose her? Or maybe she was just amused by how stupid I was? My thoughts continued to sting me as I slowly drifted into an uncomfortable sleep.