Chapter 4: Feelings

School resumed for me a couple of days after my fight with Astra. She didn't come to school and she wasn't home. But I saw P.K. lazily watching me as I walked past her house. ...She'll be back soon. I thought about what I said to her and I wanted to apologize. Astra is an alien. For all I knew, our concept of friendship was different from the way it was on her planet. This was the best thought I had come up with last night. One that made the others sting less.... I've seen her disappear for days before. She'll be back soon enough.

But she wasn't. The days became weeks and the weeks became months. The weather grew cooler. I started feeding P.K. out of concern. I couldn't believe that Astra would abandon her pet. She loves this cat. I'm sure of it. Something must've happened.... I buried that thought as deeply as possible.

#

It was usually dark out side but I could see a few stars twinkling in the sky. Maybe it's a new moon outside. I stared out my window for hours unable to sleep. I've developed a sleeping problem since Astra disappeared. Even when sleep came to me the dreams would twist and turn until it became about Astra.

Her cold stares and her haughty manner as she would turn her back on me haunted my dreams. I felt responsible for her absence. Like she had left because I had pressed her for a trust and closeness that I had not even granted her. All I could think was about how selfish I was. How could I demand so much from a stranger I barely knew? I just felt this bond with her and I thought she felt it too. That was just arrogance on my part.

I shouldn't have forced my feelings on her. I struggled to find a comfortable position to sleep in and ended up facing my bedroom door. It's usually cold outside. I was half worried about P.K. sleeping out in the cold. I have seen him go in and out of Astra's house before. I hope that cat isn't dumb enough to sleep outside in this weather.

There was a strange tapping on my window. There isn't a tree nearby my window so I knew that couldn't be it. I turned my head to look at the window over my shoulder and I saw P.K. banging his paws on my window. He meowed when he saw me turn my head. I threw the covers off and rushed to open the window.

Stupid cat! He probably forgot how to get inside his own house. I opened the window wide enough to let P.K. slip in. He gracefully landed on the floor and proceeded to tap my leg. His wide blue eyes gazed at me. P.K. tapped my leg a few more times and ran over to the door.

He sat by it and meowed. I realized how crazy it sounded but...was he actually trying to tell me something? There's no way...does this cat want me to follow him? P.K. scratched at my door and meowed insistently. I shook my head at how absurd my thoughts were. Maybe I'm still asleep and I don't realize it? Well...I guess should play along then, right?

I opened the door as carefully as possible since it tended to creak. I checked the hallway. Empty. I heard my Grandma snoring in her room. P.K. rushed to the staircase and stopped about halfway down. He meowed again and gazed at me expectantly. I followed him down the stairs to my front door. The air was chilly outside and I rubbed my arms. As I turned around to retrieve a jacket, I felt P.K. paw snag on to my pajama pants. He meowed insistently.

"I'm coming. I just need a jacket."

I'm not sure if cats actually understood people but P.K. released me and sat patiently by the door. I swiftly found a fleece jacket in my room and returned downstairs. P.K. scurried past me towards Astra's place. I followed in suit. When I reached the walkway I noticed dark red spots. Leaning down to examine it closer, a horrifying sinking feeling filled my being. This is...blood! There's a trail of it leading to the door. P.K. meowed urgently at me from the front door. A deep pool of blood was by it. ASTRA!

I sprinted into her house. The door's unlocked. Astra has to be here.

"Astra! Astra, where are you?"