14. Baby

It's season 2 but the timeline is different.

Mary was standing in the middle of their chambers when Francis came through the wooden doors.

"Mary? Whatever is the matter, the page said it was urgent." Francis strode across the room quickly,

"You nearly gave me a heart attack, you never send for me."

"I'm quite alright, we are quite alright. All three of us." The queen of France and Scotland placed her hands on her belly nervously, turning around.

"Three?... You aren't? Are you?" Francis looked at his wife hopefully, like a child about to receive a puppy.

"I am, I am with child, our child at last!" Mary said happily, beaming as her delighted husband spun her around.

"I've never been so happy in my entire life, I love you two more than words can express." Francis knelt and pressed a feather-light kiss to her still flat belly.

"It's still very early, only about 4 months in, I first suspected 6 weeks ago."

"Six weeks! How on Earth did you manage to keep it a secret from me for six entire weeks?" Francis asked.

"I didn't want to get your hopes up, and even now it's quite a risky stage. The reason I have been so nauseous lately is our child who loves to make me throw up!"

***Six weeks ago***
"Mary? Are you alright?" Francis asked worriedly, rushing to hold his wife's hair back as she threw up for the third time that week. After she finished losing her breakfast, the queen of two countries weakly collapsed into her kings arms.
"You need to see a physician today. This can't possibly be a cold now." Francis insisted, and Mary agreed  reluctantly to have a physician visit their quarters later while Francis was in a meeting.

The physician had first asked about her symptoms, then her last amonthly, and eventually just asked if there was a possibility she could be pregnant.
Mary was shocked. The young couple had been trying for an heir, so it was very much a possibility. The physician left the royal quarters later with a chamber pot to test, and the queen left with new hope, hope to soon bear an heir.

***End of flashback***

Of course, the test had come back positive and she was overjoyed. However, Mary hadn't wanted to tell her husband just yet, as not only was it early, but he already had a son. Mary couldn't help but feel insecure. Would he still love her when she grew with child, or would he take refuge in a mistress, maybe even Lola? Her fears were put to rest quickly as Francis doted on her hand and foot, seeming to fall even more in love with his beautiful wife as she swelled with their child.

When Mary went into labor at just 8 months, in the middle of the night. Francis had never been so terrified as when he had woken up to his wife's whimpers of pain, the bed sheets soaked in blood and fluids. It had been a long 2 day labor, with Francis at her side the entire time, ignoring the midwife's insistence that he leave. Finally, the two royals welcomed their small and premature son James into the world. It seemed as if he was too early to survive, but the babe overcame all odds and was healthy as he grew. The king and queen of France and Scotland had both never felt such love for anyone before, not even the other. They would go on to have 6 children, 4 boys and 2 girls.