15. Not-So Seperate Lives

"Francis, we were to lead separate lives. This is certainly not leading separate lives. Why?" Mary asked on the third day of Francis asking to go riding with her.

"I... I apologize Mary. I will keep my distance if that is what you wish, but know I love you no matter what." Francis said, and it nearly killed Mary to see the hopeful brightness in his eyes disappear. Not wanting to give her husband false hope, she tried to not be too harsh-sounding. Then she changed her mind just as Francis was about to leave her chambers. "Wait, would you care to break your fast with me this morning? I would like to talk more with you." Mary couldn't see Francis's face as he left the room. She couldn't help but feel oddly disappointed, though she hadn't originally wanted to be near him in the first place. Letting out a sigh, she closed her eyes, only to reopen them when she heard her chamber door swing open. Lo and behold, it was her husband again, but this time accompanied by several servants carrying many platters of delicate food.

"Uh, I asked some servants to bring the food in here, instead of us eating with everyone else. That is, if it's alright with you?" Francis asked hesitantly, taking a step forward before seeming to regret it and moving backwards.

"Of course Francis. Shall we sit down?" She suggested warmly, and Francis pulled out a chair at the food table for her to sit at, before seating himself quietly. The two monarchs ate in silence for what seemed like hours but in reality was mere minutes, until they broke the silence.
"Isn't this food delicious?" "You simply must try some of this pastry," the two spoke at the same time, before blushing and doing the exact same thing. "You go." They echoed each other, before dissolving into a fit of high pitched giggles, looking at each other as they struggled to catch their breath. Mary thought of her plan to lead separate lives. It all seemed ridiculous now as it was clear the royals could not live without each other. Whatever problems they face, whatever dangers the encounter, they will survive and overcome all obstacles, because they are Kings and Queens, because they are unstoppable when one.

"I am willing to try and mend our relationship. I know now while we might be able to survive while apart, we can only live when we're together. Separate, we are strong, together, unbeatable." Mary stated passionately, her eyes pleading for him to forgive her for pushing him away after what had happened.

"You're serious? My god Mary, I love you more than I could ever describe with mere words. As you are willing to give us another chance, I promise I will never do anything you are uncomfortable with. You control our relationship, and I respect your decisions, my queen." Francis poured his heart and soul into his mini speech, emotions flooding his heart as thoughts flooded his brain.

"We will heal together, for we are stronger together. I still love you."