(C4) Silent Preparations

The snow-covered landscape stretched out before Ryder as he stood on the balcony of the Lookout. The cold breeze nipped at his cheeks, a reminder of the challenges that lay ahead. His gaze fixed on the distant peaks of the Himalayas that were being shown as a picture on his laptop, his mind a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions. The events of the past few days had shaken him to the core, but his determination remained unshaken.

He had spent hours poring over maps, putting together funds, studying the routes, and making meticulous plans for the climb. His fingers tapped against the railing as he reviewed the gear he had laid out beside him. Each piece of equipment had been carefully chosen, each detail thought through. Yet, in the midst of all the preparations, a heavy weight settled in his chest.

Ryder knew the risks, the dangers that awaited him on the journey ahead. He had heard stories of the treacherous Khumbu Icefall, the unpredictable weather, and the unforgiving altitude of the Death Zone. But he couldn't let fear or doubt cloud his vision. He had a purpose, a goal that drove him forward.

Taking a deep breath, Ryder turned away from the balcony and reentered the Lookout. His fingers danced over the buttons of his pup pad, sending out a message to the rest of the team. It was time to gather them, to share his plans and face their reactions. As the message sent, Ryder couldn't help but feel a mixture of anticipation and anxiety. He knew his decision would affect not only his own fate but also the lives of those who had come to depend on him.

As he waited for the team to assemble, Ryder glanced at a framed photograph on a nearby shelf. It was a picture of him as a young boy, standing beside the rest of his family. Their smiles were all warm, everyone's eyes filled with the same sense of adventure that had always fueled Ryder's spirit. He felt a lump in his throat as memories of them all flooded his mind with memories of the past.

The sound of footsteps broke his reverie, and Ryder looked up to see his loyal pups entering the room one by one. He greeted each of them with a reassuring smile, their presence providing a sense of comfort amidst the uncertainty. The Paw Patrol had faced countless challenges together, and Ryder believed in their abilities more than anything.

"Hey, pups," he began, his voice steady despite the emotions churning within him. "I've called you here to talk about something important. Something I've been keeping to myself for a while now."

He took a deep breath, his eyes meeting the curious gazes of his companions. "I'm sure you're all wondering why I've been distant lately, why I've been making preparations that I haven't fully explained. The truth is, I've made a decision. I'm going to climb Mount Everest and reach the summit. I'm leaving November 29th, and Jake and Carlos will remain at the lookout to take care of all of you while I'm gone, and they'll take care of handling any emergencies that need our help."

A mixture of surprise and concern rippled through the room, the pups exchanging glances and shifting on their paws. Ryder held up a hand to quiet their unspoken questions.

"I know it's a risky endeavor, trying to summit a mountain like Mount Everest," he continued, his voice unwavering. "But it's something I need to do. There's a reason, a goal that I believe in with all my heart."

He paused, his gaze locking onto each pup's eyes, his sincerity evident. "I want you to understand that this isn't about being reckless or seeking adventure. It's about facing something from my past, something I've been carrying with me for a long time. And I need to do it alone."

A hushed silence settled over the room, the pups absorbing his words. Ryder's explanation hung in the air, his determination and vulnerability woven together.

Skye stepped forward, her eyes reflecting a mixture of concern and understanding. "Ryder, we've always faced challenges as a team. We've always supported each other, no matter the danger. Why go alone now?"