[³] ˢᵉᵖᵗᵉᵐᵇᵉʳ

Weeks of work had successfully settled her into the Windows on the World environment. Nothing was new or unknown anymore. In fact, Phoebe had fallen into quite a bit of a routine. She already had some frequent customers to her name, and the staff was fairly friendly.

About to start high school again, this would be her last morning/noon shift for the time being. Phoebe would also begin doing some hours at Wild Blue, the smaller, more intimate restaurant where the locals preferred to dine. While the tourists liked the busy and noisy openness of Windows on the World.

There had been no more over-the-top tips, but they at least sometimes reached thirty percent. Speaking of which, Mr. Israeli Salad had not come back since last time. Phoebe feared-for her sake-that he'd stopped being a customer because she might have offended him with her flashy attitude. Or maybe she was just overthinking as usual.

While Phoebe cleaned the bar, Georgia wiped the wine glasses.

"Are you starting college on Monday?" Phoebe thought to ask her.

"Yep," she answered with no wavering confidence. "When are you starting school?"

"Monday as well." Phoebe had no control over the gritting of her teeth. "I wonder how they'll receive me."

"You'll be fine. It's a good school in a good area."

Although she already knew Stuyvesant was a high-end school, Georgia's reassurance made Phoebe feel more confident. All she dreaded was for drama and triviality to take over her last year of high school.

"Oh, look. There's your exclusive." Georgia's sight was unbeatable-she could find anything and anyone in the restaurant in a matter of seconds. Nothing or no one escaped her.

And, sure enough, there he was. Her so-called exclusive. He'd come back.

The blond stooge, this time waring a silver suit, was sitting at the same table as the other day. Alone, at least for a while, again.

"Go on!" Georgia urged her forward.

"Eugh!" Phoebe complained. "Do I have to?"

"It's literally your job." Georgia gestured condescendingly.

"Right..." Phoebe reluctantly agreed.

The man had already seen her coming after setting aside the menu, and the corner of his mouth twitched upward slightly. His eyebrows laid low upon his eyes as he observed her slow approach. Phoebe was weary of that smile in his face. Why was it there in the first place? He was surely going to taunt the demons out of her.

"Welcome to-" She began saying in a bored tone.

He interrupted her. "I still feel welcomed since the other day, believe me."

I don't.

Phoebe was imagining lasers shooting out of her eyes right at him. There was no way that that could make him feel welcomed.

"What salad will you be having today, sir?" She teased insolently.

"She can joke!" He clasped his hands together feeling satisfactory. "Although the salad last time was quite the treat, I think I'll have something different this time, if you don't mind." Phoebe shrugged in response, she didn't care at all. However, that seamless compliment hadn't gone over her head. "String beans sauté, scallopine of veal with wild mushrooms, and a glass of Sauvignon. Silver Oak."

He must have been in a good mood. The last time, it gave Phoebe the impression that he was either a picky eater or had a delicate stomach.

She took the menu from the table and set out to place the order at the kitchen without another word, thankful that she wasn't the one who had to cook his meal that day.