[⁴] ᵍⁱʳˡˢ ʷᵃⁿᵗᵉᵈ

"Cut back on the rabid barking. Blah, blah." Phoebe repeated Walter's words to herself with a childish sarcastic tone.

For some reason, she'd recalled them while ironing clothes. A few seconds before that, she'd been happily practicing some steps and dance moves, but he'd infiltrated her mind and ruined her whole vibe. Phoebe was no longer in the mood to fold clothing.

"And I thought I was the crazy one," Dana said as soon as she walked into the living room. Phoebe dropped the pair of shorts in her hands after getting startled. "Who're you talking to, Pheebs?"

"None of your business," she answered benignly. "Aren't you supposed to be headed for work already?"

"I'm waiting for your mom to get ready-I'm taking her to get herself enrolled in EMT classes."

Phoebe hadn't realized her mom's decision was final already. She'd thought that with the way things were, there was no way to afford those classes and still get by until the end of the month.

"Huh, okay," Phoebe muttered.

"Auntie Joe, you better come out right now or I'm leaving without ya!"

"Coming, coming. Don't worry!" Said Joanna, coming out of their shared bathroom, taking her green coat and zipping it up.

"Ciao." Dana blew a kiss to Phoebe before they headed out the door.

Phoebe felt anxiety and pressure creep in. Like another weight had been added to her shoulders. It wasn't enough that she was constantly thinking about the past and worrying about the future. The present was just as nerve-wracking. She would have to being making extra hours, otherwise they'd be living in Dana's apartment for the rest of their lives. Not to talk about what it meant in regards to college.

She forgot all about ironing clothes. Definitely feeling like abandoning all chores for the time being, the old TV provided distraction for a while. But the problem was not something temporary.

The other problem presented itself just days later, already way into October. When her—mostly—sacred workplace was defiled by an appaling presence.

"No fucking way."

Yes fucking way.

That was Kaylee O'Moore's bitchy face that Phoebe's eyes were seeing.

What was she doing all the way up there? Wasn't there another restaurant in Manhattan she could've chosen?

Unless she'd overheard where Phoebe worked.

Goddammit.

She was even accompanied by her two subjects, whose names she'd come to know were Yasmine and Chloe... Not that it mattered.

Kaylee soon spotted Phoebe, after all, she'd been scanning the place with her eyes in search of her specifically. Phoebe had no choice but to comply when Kaylee asked to order.

"Oh, God—that uniform. Makes it seem like you're a stewardess about to hand out a few bags of peanuts and call it food."

Chloe and Yasmine snickered.

Brown-nosers.

Phoebe took a deep breath.

"You've had your laugh. Now, order something, please."

Kaylee picked up the beverage menu. "Sure, sure."

They ordered extremely intricate drinks on purpose, knowing it was something that Phoebe had to prepare herself.

While in the middle of grounding some fresh cinnamon, Walter walked in.

It was a little earlier than usual. About six forty-five in the afternoon.