Chapter Thirty Four

Din kept his body tense, ready to go for his weapon at a moment's notice. 

Cad Bane-Cad fucking Bane- had the audacity to grin back at Celene, setting every nerve in Din's body on end.  The legendary bounty hunter's crimson-colored eyes slid to Din.  "Brought a friend back, I see?"

Back?

Celene shook her head.  "I'm not staying."

Bane feigned disappointment.  "We used to have so much fun, you and I."

The flashing lights caught the edges of the silver clasps Celene wore in her hair as she shrugged.  "Sorry, Bane.  I don't live that life anymore."

Bane raised a blue-skinned hand, waving a bartender over.  "Oh- see, now I don't believe that Avyanna.  We used to rule these streets and you lived for it.  Thrived in it." 

Din cut a sharp glance to Celene, waiting for her answer.  She lived here?  She was ignoring him, almost completely, attention focused on the bounty hunter across from them.  Din monitored every movement, Bane made though he seemed anything but threatening in the moment.

The bartender approached their table before Celene could respond and they ordered drinks.  Bane withdrew a metal cylinder box Din has seen Celene use more than once.  He removed a small cylinder-shaped tube and slid the box across the sticky surface of the table to Celene before he turned his attention to Din.  "I have not seen one of your kind for a long time, Mandalorian."  He raised the stick to his mouth and inhaled, blowing out lavender-colored smoke.  "Partners?"

"For the time being."  Celene pulled a tube from the box, passing it back to Bane.  "I'm here because I need information."

"Ah.  That will cost you."  Another sly glance.  "But you already knew that."  

Din shifted, not liking Bane's unwavering attention focused wholly on Celene.  "Name your price."

Bane waved a finger in the air, orange smoke rising in plumes from his mouth.  "Ah-ah.  Not so fast.  Credits are useless to me down here.  I'm as rich as can be, practically rolling in the money.  My payment comes in another form."

Celene's face remained impassive as she inhaled, the blue smoke exhaling from her nose.  Din realized she had expected this and had likely come prepared not to pay in credits.  He scanned her appearance again and realized she was dressed not for this meeting but for a job.  She blew out more yellow-colored smoke.  "Name your price."

The bartender returned, depositing their drinks in front of them.  Bane slid the cup toward Celene, the liquid sloshing over the side and onto the already sticky table.  "A job.  It requires a second person."  

Celene raised her cup and sipped the foul-smelling drink.  "I find it hard to believe you aren't capable of pulling a two-person job yourself." 

Bane gave a shrug, blue fingers wrapping around his own glass.  "I tried.  It truly requires a second person." 

"Before we agree," Din cut in, "do you not want to know what kind of information we seek?  Or if you even have the answers?"

"I can assure you, Mandalorian, I will have the answers."  His eyes slid to Din.  "In fact, I believe I already have an idea of what you wish to know if the rumors I've heard are true."

"What rumors?"  Celene said, tightly, the first emotion Din had seen her express so far.

Bane fixed his gaze back on her.  "Rumors about a force-wielder wrecking a covert Empire hub on Nevaro." 

Celene said nothing, deigning to take another slow sip of her drink.  But Bane watched her carefully and clearly took her non-response and confirmation because he said, "So it's true.  I mean I always suspected but I could never be sure."  He lifted his drink to his mouth.  "Interesting."  

Din clenched his jaw at this, muscles in his body tensing.  "If you breathe a word to the Empire, if you tell anyone-"

"Relax, Mandalorian.  Your secrets are safe with me."

"He won't bring the Empire here."  Celene inhaled deeply, red smoke coloring the air.  "He's fucked the Empire over too many times.  He's on their shit list just as much as we are."

Bane chuckled though there was no humor in it.  "So I am.  Nice fail-safe you have then."

Celene sighed.  "Before I take this deal, what's this job entail?"

Bane set his drink down.  "Quick in and out.  Some wealthy kid is holed up in an apartment here.  Someone has to be down at the base of the building to keep the security defenses deactivated while the other infiltrates the apartment.  Easy- like I said, but requires two people."  He glanced at Din.  "You and I.  The Mandalorian stays behind."

Din's stomach tightened and he opened his mouth to protest but Celene nodded.  "Deal." 

Din's irritation spiked but he clenched his jaw and held his tongue.  For now.  When they got back to the ship, they were going to have much to discuss.  

Celene cocked her head to the side now and leaned forward.  "My turn.  Tell me what you know about the remaining Jedi and where to find one."

The cruel humor in Bane's demeanor instantly vanished.  He took a sip of his drink and leaned back.  "Interesting side to pick, Avyanna."

"Answer the question."

Bane sighed.  "Last I heard there was one living alone on a planet called Tython, located in the Deep Core region.  There are the ancient remains of a Jedi Temple there."  

Celene tapped the table.  "How recent is the info?"

"Few cycles old."

Din blinked with surprise.  That was recent. 

Celene took a drink.  "Why haven't you gone there?  Hunted the Jedi down?"

Bane gave a shrug.  "I like it here.  I'm rich and busy.  Why fuck it up?  The Clone Wars ended and my days of playing the games between the Empire and Jedi are over.  Not my problem anymore."

Celene drained her drink.  "Still.  Given your reputation, must be awfully tempting."  

The blue-skinned bounty hunter just drummed his fingers on the table.  "Well, if I ever get bored, I know where I can go for some more fun and a bigger pay-day." 

Celene scoffed and stood from the table, Din following suit.  "Send me the coordinates for the job."  She tossed a few credits on the table.  "Your information better be right, Bane.  Don't fuck me over."

He tipped his hat, a smirk on his face.  "I wouldn't dream of it."

Celene waved her hand subtly, and blue sparks of electricity danced on her fingertips.  The smirk faded from Bane's face.  

"You betray me, and you won't live to see another sunrise, Bane."   Celene breathed, before turning on her heel, leaving her threat hanging in the air.  Din gave Bane another hard stare before following Celene through the crowd and out the door, into the dank streets of Nar Shaddaa.