2 | goodbye, mom, goodbye, dad

***********************************************************************

I zip up my backpack and sigh heavily. This is it, my last few moments in my room before it's time to take off. My gaze settles on all my things. Who knows how long it will even be before I get to see all my stuff again. I know the stakes of what I am about to get into. I'm no stranger to dangerous situations, but this time it's different. This time the fate of so many people's lives are at stake. I just hope Fury's hopes aren't too high when it comes to how much I will be contributing to this mission. Although, I'll do my best no matter what.

The one thing that does bring a smile to my face, though, is that I'll no doubt be working with other people who are also a part of the Avengers Initiative. I have no idea who else Fury contacted for this mission, but I see no harm in keeping my hopes up. It would be a dream come true to meet someone like Captain Steve Rogers, one of my literal idols.

"Sandra!" my mother's booming voice calls from downstairs. My heart lurches in my chest.

It's time.

I hurriedly slip on my backpack ad head downstairs. My mother and father are waiting for me by the front door.

"I just got the call, and they're ready for you," my mother says.

I smile and nod, and my parents smile fondly in return. No words are needed right now. It's pretty obvious that the three of us are not ready for what's about to happen.

The ride in the car is dead silent as we head towards the outskirts of the city. I'm tempted to say something to break the silence, but what is there to say when you are about to be sent off into the unknown?

After about thirty minutes, my dad slows the car down beside an empty field. I look out the window, and my gaze lands on a jet out in the middle of the field.

"We're here," mom announces.

I take a deep breath before putting my backpack on and getting out of the car. My mom and dad get out of the car as well, and I walk between them towards the jet. Wind tousles my hair as I walk. I resist the urge to push it out of my face whenever it blocks my view.

We near the jet and stop walking. An intense silence fills the air as a tall blond woman in a black jacket approaches us.

"Sandra Scott I presume?" the blond agent says in a European accent.

"Yes," my mother answers for me.

The blond agent glances down at a watch on her wrist before looking back up and making eye contact with me. "Fury's expecting you to come in soon. Are you ready to go?" she asks.

I inhale a deep breath. "I am."

The bond agent starts to turn around when my mother speaks up. "Can you give us a second?" she asks.

The blond agent stops in her tracks, looks back at my mom, and nods.

My mom and dad turn to me. Although, before they get a chance to say anything, I speak up. "How long do you think I'll be gone?" I ask.

My mother's gaze lingers on the jet. A far-off look in her eyes. "I'm not sure. A few days I hope." When she looks back at me, I notice tears in her eyes. The sight of tears in her eyes makes my own nose burn, and eyes get watery.

Silence falls over us, one of sadness and nervousness. Leaving my parents is going to be harder than I ever could have imagined. It feels like a million arrows are stabbing at my heart.

Suddenly, my dad takes a hold of mom's hand and mine. "How about we pray?" he suggests.

I smile at my dad. He always knows what to do when either mom or I am sad. He squeezes our hands, and mom and I get the idea. We all bow our heads in prayer.

"Dear Father God," dad begins, "please watch over Sandra as she is about to go off on this mission. I ask, Lord, that no harm will come to her, and you will guide her in everything she does. I ask for this protection over my daughter, Lord. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen." He gives our hands a final squeeze before releasing them.

My mother then gives me a tight hug followed by my father doing the same. With our goodbye's done, I face the jet and follow the blond agent inside of it. My heart thumps wildly in my chest as I do so.

The blond agent stops and looks back at me. "Take a seat. It's gonna be a while," she orders.

I do as she says, taking off my backpack and setting it aside before sitting down and strapping myself in. The blond agent heads for the cockpit. It only takes a few minutes for her to fire up the engines and set the jet into lift-off.

I can't believe that I'm actually doing this thing, but there is no turning back now.

Author's Note: Don't be a silent reader! Remember to vote, comment, share, and give me your theories and thoughts! Constructive criticism and any criticism for that matter is always welcome! Know any other Marvel fans? Let them know about this story!