3 | full speed ahead

***********************************************************************

Sleepiness hangs heavy on my eyelids. I want to close them, desperately, but I refuse to give in. I've been fighting back this urge for about ten minutes now. If we don't arrive at our destination soon, I may just lose myself and fall asleep, but I really want to be awake when we make it to our destination, wherever that is.

Suddenly I feel the jet begin to steady itself. My heart beat picks up dramatically at the realization...we're here.

I quickly pick my backpack up and hold it in my lap, practically clutching it for my dear life. My nerves are on end and completely out of control. A huge rock feels like it's growing in my stomach. I've never been so nervous for something in my life. I can feel the jet finally land, which only increases my uneasiness more.

I turn my head at the sound of footsteps from the cockpit. The blond agent approaches me. "We're here. Follow me," she orders.

I don't nod or say anything. I'm too dumbstruck to even think or assess what's happening. All I do is obey what she says. I unstrap myself and stand to my feet. After putting my backpack on, I follow the blond agent to the back of the jet.

She presses a button on the wall which causes the back ramp to go down. When the ramp hits the ground, the blond agent leads me down it. I follow after her. I have to squint my eyes to adjust them from the darkness of the jet to the brightness outside. But once I fully open them, my eyeballs practically bulge out of their sockets.

We've landed on some sort of large vessel, and I can't help but turn myself in all directions. For miles all I can see is ocean. People are also all around us, running about. They appear to be working on all sorts of things from securing other jets down to cleaning more areas for jets to land. All the noise and hustle and bustle slightly intimidates me. It also brings to my attention that I'm probably the only person under eighteen on this ship. That's going to be fun.

The blond agent's voice grabs my attention. "Stay here," she commands before walking off, leaving me alone by the jet.

I shuffle my feet awkwardly. Now what?

After a few minutes, she still doesn't return, and I begin to grow nervous and unsure of myself. Is there something that I'm supposed to be doing or...?

"Hi."

I turn around at the sound of the voice. A man stands there with a friendly smile. He's wearing a black suit, so I assume he's an agent. I also can't help but notice his receding hairline...

"It's a pleasure to meet you," he continues. "I'm Phil. Fury told me when you arrived to introduce you to the others."

I just nod, feeling shy all of a sudden.

"Do you have all your things?" he asks.

"Yes," I answer. "They're in my backpack."

"Good, follow me," Phil says as he leads me away from the jet I had arrived in.