Chapter 5: The Villain Redemption Project

Narukami's POV

"The Villain Redemption Project," Madam Yui revealed as she continued, "It's the only way to redeem yourselves. Basically, Sora just has to help Kagura with his work and that's it but... Kagura, you have to do a lot of stuff. I am sorry. But as I said, it's the only way to redeem yourself."

"But how am I a villain? All of that was just a honest mistake!" I protested.

"Oh, God. You aren't the villain in the mention. It's one of the supervillain prisoner's that will be randomly selected, according to various standards. You have to basically aid them in becoming better people; help them use their second chance morally. Okay now, you can go back to your homes and come back tomorrow morning for the meeting. Your timing is 7 a.m."

"Okay then, bye," I bid her farewell as I let out a sigh of mixed feelings: gladness for having my pessimistic expectations shattered and annoyance for having the privileges of a lazy Sunday nap taken away.

"Bye, Sora."

"Bye, Naru. See you tomorrow."

***

"Am I late, Madam Shizuka?"

"Yes, by twenty-six seconds. Anyways, please take a seat Kagura-kun. Right next to mine," a blue-eyed woman, a shade darker than mine with voluminous, short silver hair spoke. She radiated an elegant and dominant aura.

"I am sorry, it won't happen again," I sincerely apologized. Yesterday had been a really wearisome day and I couldn't sleep due to various nightmares visiting the door of my skull like kids dressed up in spooky clothes for a trick or treat.

"It better be," she spoke in an eerie tone.

Sora was sitting besides a violet-haired girl, who was the leader of group #48, diagonally opposite to the future President Shizuka. Her name was Violetta.

There were four other people other than me and Sora.

"Okay, then. Now that our dear latecomer has arrived, we can initiate the meeting." She stood up and switched on the PowerPoint presentation.

"So, before we begin, let me tell you some basic rules, you have to follow throughout the meeting. Firstly, for questions, raise you right hand and for objections and amends, your left. Secondly, this project is compulsory for everyone present here. If you don't want to do it, you can consider not wanting your job as well. Thirdly, I want all of you to pay your utmost attention to everything I am gonna say."

"Everyone deserves a second chance. So why should villains be an exception to this law? They are just broken heroes, after all. Under normal circumstances, a supervillain has to serve their entire life in jail due to the government's order for the safety of ordinary citizens."

"Isn't that right, Madam? Unlike other criminals, these supervillains are extremely perilous and giving them a second chance is basically handing an invite card to Death. So, I think the government is quite justified," Violetta objected. Her father was a government official who worked under the 'Management of Extraordinary Individuals' department.

"Well, I know you have a deep inbred prejudice against supervillains and I think that it's normal for you to feel so. Basically, we're only going to give those villains a second chance, whose crimes aren't that serious." She clarified as Violetta responded with an, "Okay, then I am in."