Chapter 5: Welcome to Salilorian

Vi sat tugging at the end of her braid and tucking her hair behind her ears as they sped away. Her stomach was twisting itself into knots and every time she opened her mouth she couldn't seem to get sound to come out.
8-6 finally broke the silence.
"Good thing we're still ------- close to -------- Salilorian. I can land us a few -------- miles away from Pajille City, but once we're there we'll have to find the address Captain Riley gave me."
8-6 ejected the slip of paper the Captain had given him and gave it to Vi.
"Here."
Vi took it, reading the name and address written on it in Captain Riley's familiar blocky handwriting.
That's an odd name. I wonder who they are?
She handed it back to 8-6 and watched him burn the tiny scrap of paper.
"8-6," she asked and surprised herself to hear sound come out of her throat.
"Do-do-do-do you know who Karani Noe is?"
He stayed silent, watching the ground get closer.
And closer.
Vi closed her eyes, even after the rattling jolt let her know that they'd landed.
She hated landing. It made her feel like she was falling, spiraling uncontrollably towards the ground.
Don't panic don't panic don't.
8-6 beeped disdainfully. "You can come out now, Vi. We're on solid ground."
Vi stumbled out onto the sand, her legs shaky, both from sitting so long and from fear.
"I officially hate you now, 8-6. Did you have to make that landing so infernally bumpy?" He spat sand at her.
He began rolling towards the buildings on the horizon, kicking sand up behind him. Vi groaned, pushed her hair behind her ears, and followed him.
I hate sand.
...
They arrived in Pajille City in the warm, glowing light of evening. Even in the growing dusk, people were still in the streets, chatting, laughing, and shopping.
The city was much bigger than Vi had expected. It made Emerstead look tiny, and that was the biggest city she could think of.
It was the only city she'd ever been to, though.
"Ohhhh no," she whined to 8-6. "How're we ever gonna find her?"
It's too big.
I wish Dane or Laira were here. I wish ANYONE was here.
Vi was exhausted, hungry, and her mouth was very dry. Her braid had fallen back out, and her shoes were full of sand.
8-6 rolled away, beeping back at her.
"Come on, Vi! We won't get a ---- thing done just standing here, you know!"
Night really had fallen by then, and the streets were dark.
The people still on the streets were hurrying home, and did NOT appreciate being asked for directions by a teenage girl who looked like she'd gotten on the bad side of a hurricane. Nevertheless, Vi managed to get directions; albeit rather confusing ones.
Which way do I go again?
Wait a sec, I think this is it.
Vi tugged at the long chocolate curls falling into her face as they finally stood outside of Karani Noe's home. She'd done that so many times that it had finally fallen out entirely, and now it was too tangled to rebraid.
"What if this doesn't work, 8-6? We don't know anything about this person, or what they look like, or ... or... anything! What if this isn't even the right house? Or -"
8-6 knocked.
"Shut the ---- up, Vi. It'll be -------- fine."
A breeze rolled through the night-cloaked street, setting small lights flickering in the velvety indigo darkness; rustling the hem of Vi's dress; pushing her stray curls into her eyes. She brushed the hair out of her eyes and glanced up at the stars.
The wind was playing among them, and small clouds of dust were spinning and floating in its playful gusts.
Usually she could find peace up there, but that night the constellations were foreign and offered no comfort.
We must be really far away from home for me not to recognize anything, she thought.
Vi shivered, pulling Captain Riley's jacket tighter around herself, and looked back at the door. To her surprise, someone was standing there.
The young woman was a couple of inches taller than her, and had extremely fair, freckly skin. Her hair looked like it was ablaze, but perhaps it was just the golden light streaming from the doorway behind her.
"Hi! C'n I help you?"
Vi blinked. She hadn't actually thought about what she'd do once she'd finished Captain Riley's directions.
"Um," she began, tucking her hair behind her ear and tugging at her collar.
"Well. C-Captain Riley t-t-told us to... to find Karani Noe and I think that's you atleastthats whatIwastoldand I'msorrytobugyousookayimajustgonow-"
The woman laughed and her whole face lit up. "Riley?! Is he here? Gosh, I haven' seen him for... yikes, going on five years now! How's he doin'?"
Vi blinked, the hot marble coming back.
What did you think, Vi? Of course she wouldn't know that he was dead. It's not like the Dartranian Empire would go around broadcasting that they murdered a popular Galactic Council member.
"Um..." she said, the marble growing bigger, almost choking as she forced the words out. "He... he's dead."
Karani Noe recoiled as though she'd been slapped, blinking her cat-green eyes in shock. "I think you should come in," she said quietly.