Chapter 18

Commander Alarie kept marching, talking to Kara in low tones as they walked ahead of Vi. She couldn't make out much of what they were saying, but what she did hear didn't bode well for her.
"... killed him... she did..."
"How long... we should... never again!"
"I hate... can't believe..."
Finally, they stopped.
Vi tucked her hair behind her ears and shivered.
What will I do if she doesn't like me? I can't get home.
Where would I even go?
I can't go anywhere. Kara said they could help.
Is she gonna kill me?
Vi tucked her hair behind her ears again.
She felt dizzy, like she could feel the planet turning beneath her feet.
Commander Alarie put her hands on her hips, studying Vi with an unreadable expression, her face carefully wiped blank. She moved towards Vi, who instinctively flinched back and closed her eyes, her arms thrown up to protect her face.
Unexpectedly, she felt gentle hands removing her hands from her face.
Vi opened her eyes gingerly. Commander Alarie was standing in front of her, holding her hands.
She smelled like sweet almonds and smiled softly at Vi.
"Hey, it's okay. It's okay. I am so, so, so sorry about that. Nobody listens unless I get scary. Kara-friend told me everything. Are you okay? I know that was probably a lot."
Vi's head felt thick, like she was trying to swim through concrete. Commander Alarie was still talking, but she couldn't hear her. Everything was swimming in and out of focus.
"And while I can't fully understand bringing SY XIAN of all people here, I know you have your reasons," she said.
Vi's eyes were leaking, the marble returning, but instead of being painful it was just... there. Thick and hot and making it hard for her to think.
"I'm Olive," she continued. "I'm the... what'd ya call it, Karani? The... head rebel lady."
Why is the world still spinning? Vi wondered. My head feels funny.
She swayed on her feet and didn't notice she was falling until Kara and Olive caught her. "Oh my gosh. Kara, I think she's in shock. You must be exhausted and hungry, kiddo. Come on, let's get you all fixed up."
Olive flipped her long golden-brown hair over her shoulder and wrapped her arms around Vi, who was suddenly exhausted. The weight of everything that had happened over the last few days was piling up now that she was safe, like a wave that gets bigger and bigger before it breaks. The hallway swayed under her feet again, adding to her sleep-induced clumsiness. Through the fuzz she saw Kara and Olive look around, although she was too tired to notice anything else.
It was exhausting being so scared.