XXXX. Wedding

a/n: yeah it's me again LMAO I'M SORRY...okay but there is a little eren appreciation at the end because i miss him and y/n's relationship sm. it is preceded by plenty of shenanigans though because what is angst without humor???

"This is so stressful," you said to Armin, who was repeatedly undoing and then redoing his tie in an attempt to make it perfect. Taking pity, you reached over and did it for him.

"I know," he grumbled, tilting his chin up to make it easier for you, "I'm certain we weren't so high-maintenance."

"Well, that and the royal family did most of the planning, so we didn't have much cause to worry," you reminded him. He considered this before nodding.

"That's true, and anyways Jean was almost guaranteed to be a nightmare about this sort of thing. It's a wonder Tullia managed to settle him down even somewhat," he said.

"If he had his way, Paradis's economy would crash," you said with a snicker, "I don't know what Historia was thinking, offering to pay for their wedding."

"It was a sweet gesture on her part, I think. She's missed us; I know she has a daughter and a husband now, and of course she's the queen, but some part of her will always be the brave soldier we were friends with," he said.

"Yeah," you said with a fond smile, remembering training with Historia — though she had gone by Krista then — and the murder mystery that you and Jean had had to solve together on your graduation day. "You're right about that. I'm glad she's able to be here today."

"Me, too," he said, "Do you think we're ready?"

"I hope so. Jean might have a fit if we're not perfect — we're the most important members of the wedding party, you know," you said.

"You're always perfect to me, no matter what role you play," he said.

"You're so horrendous," you said, shaking your head, "Seriously, it's embarrassing to hear you speak sometimes."

"It's all true, though I'll admit I do like teasing you. You're so funny when you're cringing," he said, raising his hands in the air innocently. You poked him in the ribs.

"No surprise there," you said, ignoring his overdramatic whine, "Let's go. It's either we get yelled at for not looking perfect or we get yelled at for being late. And you know how Levi gets about punctuality — I'd take the former, any day."

"Agreed," Armin said with a shudder, grabbing your hand and interlocking your fingers as if it were natural, "I think there will always be a little of that old awe for him in me."

"He has that effect," you said, "Though it wore off for me quite a while ago."

"Well, aren't you just the bravest girl in the whole entire world?" Armin said sarcastically. You stuck your tongue out at him.

"Shut up. You're the one who's scared of an elderly man — and one who's half-blind and bound to a wheelchair, to boot. He literally sits around making tea all day, what's there to fear?" you said.

"I'm sorry, your royal highness, but not all of us are as courageous as you," he said, holding a hand to his heart and then bowing repeatedly, "I beg your forgiveness. Please, protect me from the Captain's rage."

"On the topic, I'm thinking of abdicating soon," you mused. He raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"Really?" he said. You hummed thoughtfully.

"Yeah. I have no will to rule a country; I'd rather be here, at home with you and Mikasa and the others. Once I straighten out some more nonsense with the international community and ensure that my treaties and whatnot will be honored, I'll leave. I'm not a princess by blood, after all — I was just lucky. It's not my destiny to wear a crown forever," you said.