This is my Life

A sombre sense of culture shock settled over my mind like a blanket concealing me from everything I used to know. It was like I was in a whole different country, and not only my grandmother’s home. I looked her, wondering just how much of me she knew about. This bizarrely awkward feeling made me wonder why I was always so disconnected from my distant family. I wondered if something else happened that I was also unaware of.

            The spectacular house opened up, and was fair sized on the inside as well. We walked in the spaciously bright kitchen, where we were led to the table. Everything was warm and comforting- from the brightly lit up space reflecting over each wall to create a brilliant picture of light, to the open windows, cheerful cream coloured walls, to the autumn coloured padded chairs. I looked around in awe. The home was a little old fashioned, but still very clean and homey. I could feel the personality mirrored through the concept of the room, like it spoke tiny characteristics of her to me. For example, Grandma Claire had a passion for roosters- there were figurines of them hidden all over the kitchen, and cartoon versions were splattered on the table cloth.

            “How are you all?” she cried after taking a long look at me with watery eyes.

            I nodded, and smiled.

            “Are you okay dear? You look kind of spooked!” she exclaimed.

            I smiled and shook my head.

            “Oh, Sea,” she breathed, and pulled me into a tight embrace, making me feel even more awkward and unsure of how I should behave. She released me, only to stare at me more with a wide smile across her face.

            I then realized that Grandma sort of resembled me. Or, actually, I resembled her. She had a very dark shade of honey coloured hair that resembled my dull strawberry blonde. It was pulled up delicately into a smooth flawless ponytail, which was my usual style. She even had nice fair skin like mine, but nicer, and had more laugh lines. She was short, but slim and stood with a young posture. Even her eyes resembled something I saw each day in the mirror. They were a sparkly storm of grey mist, with flecks of gold delicately shining in place. They were like magic, and I found myself lost staring into her beautiful mysterious eyes. I wish mine were half as extravagant, for mine were just plain stormy grey.

            “Hi Grandma Claire,” I finally said.

            She beamed at me. “Hi dear.”

            She then looked up to see Terrance and Sherry standing behind me, only to light up her face once again with cheer.

            “Sherry? It’s so nice to finally meet you!” she exclaimed and threw her arms up to pull her into a hug as well. Sherry didn’t hesitate and squeezed her back, saying, “Oh, thank you! It’s great seeing you too!”

When they stepped back, Claire looked to her with concern, asking in a sweet syrupy tone. “How’s everything going?”

            Sherry brushed the question off. “We’re getting there, don’t worry. A little crazy though with everything left behind, and all…How are you?”

            Claire regained her bubbly smile and chuckled. “I'm good! Oh, and you must be Terrance!” she exclaimed, turning to Terrance, who looked up from his feet in surprise.

            “Wow, aren’t you a tall guy?” she said.

            “Uh, yeah. Thanks. It’s nice to meet you,” he answered, offering out his hand to greet her, which Claire gladly shook. His hands then shoved themselves into the front pockets of his dark jeans.