CHAPTER 24

CAMILLA THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO A REGULAR DATE NIGHT.

Cristina and Callie were on-call, so she thought it was the perfect opportunity to invite Owen over. A movie night with pizza and snacks. A relaxing night away from the hospital with a man she really likes.

They spent hours just talking and laughing on the couch. Camilla laid her head on his stomach and played with his fingers as he spoke.

And when she began to fall asleep at the end of Pretty Woman, he lifted her from the couch and brought her into her bedroom.

He set her on the bed and tucked her in. And she grabbed his hand and pulled him onto the bed with her.

"Stay." She mumbled and he wrapped his arm around her as he settled under the covers.

That was before she was shaken awake, hands wrapped around her neck, her airway cut off.

Camilla let out a whimper, her hands reaching for his, "O...Owen..." She gasped out,

When he wasn't responding, she reached towards her bedside table, trying to grab anything that would help her,

Picture frames, her alarm clock, her lamp, they all cluttered to the ground. She prayed that Cristina and Callie were home, and that they could hear her struggle.

She stared up at the man above her. His eyes were clouded over, it reminded her of sleepwalkers. People who's bodies were away, but their minds were still asleep.

"Cam? You okay?" Cristina opened the door and gasped, "Oh my, god!"

Callie and Cristina entered the room, "Owen!" They separated the two and Camilla coughed air back into her lungs,

Cristina pulled the woman away while Callie stayed between them. Owen sat against the headboard, eyes wide with horror as he realised what he did.

Camilla sat on the ground next to the bed, gasping. Cristina grabbed her arms and dragging her into the bathroom, away from Owen, "Cam, what the hell was that?!" She sat Camilla down on the closed toilet seat,

She shook her head, tears streaming down her face. Her lungs were screaming and her throat burned.

"Hey, hey, hey." Cristina grabbed her and forced her to meet her eyes, "Follow my finger," Cristina moved her index finger back and forth and Camilla followed with her eyes, "Okay, now breathe."

Camilla leaned forward closing her eyes and concentrating in getting air back into her lungs. Blood was rushing in her ears, drowning out Cristina's voice.

For a split second, when Owen was above her, she didn't see him. She saw her father.

"Alex..." Her voice was hoarse and weak, "I need.. Alex."

Cristina left the room to find her phone and Camilla tried to shut her mind off. She kept hearing his voice, his insults that left her scarred for years.

She turned and twisted the shower knob on cold. She quickly went in, letting the ice cold water wash over her.

16-year-old Camilla placed a hand on her father's back, trying to help him walk towards his bedroom,"Dad? Maybe you should-"

Her father pinned her to the wall, a hand wrapped around her throat, "You talk too much." He squeezed slightly, "Just shut up." 

She sat like that for twenty minutes until there was a knock on the door, "Cam? What the hell is going on?"

He opened the door and spotted Camilla in the shower, fully clothed, "Cam?"

"I'm sorry." She glanced up at him, "You should be with Izzy..." Alex led her out of the shower and turned it off before handing her a towel and sitting her down on the closed toilet lid, "It's just... I needed someone to do that hand thing you did but I didn't think Cristina would be very good-"

Alex tilted her head up and noticed the red marks around her neck, "What the fuck? Did Owen do this to you?! I'm gonna kill-"

He moved towards the door and Camilla grabbed his arm, "It was an accident. He didn't mean to."

"He didn't mean to wrap his hands around your neck and strangle you?"

"He was having a nightmare, he didn't mean to." She argued before there was a knock on the door,

"Camilla... please..." Owen's voice broke and Camilla's heart cracked, "Alex... is she alright? I just need to know if she's alright."

Camilla reached for the doorknob and Alex pulled her back, "Cam, no."

She broke out of his grasp and opened the bathroom door. Owen stood there, tears forming in his eyes, "I am so sorry. I don't know what happened. I don't remember." He began to cry, "I don't know what happened. I'm sorry." He cried,

"Look at me." Camilla whispered to him,

"I'm so sorry-"

Camilla stepped forward, placing her hands on either side of his jaw and forcing him to look up at her, "Owen... look at me. I'm fine. It's okay, you were asleep."

"It's not okay-" Cristina held up a hand to silence Alex,

Camilla wrapped her arms around Owen and he cried into her hair, "I'm so sorry."

"I know. It's okay." She whispered, running her fingers through the hair at the back of his head, "You're okay."