Chapter 1 - Two Reincarnates, Two Orphans

In the orphanage, there wasn't much to do. I didn't act like a normal kid would. The nuns were often wary of me ever since I was little. After all, usual children learn about everything around them with excitement. They were used to people being bored or enthusiastic in their teachings, always wanting to play. They could read boredom in my face, but I was a special case. See, I wasn't exactly bored, just not paying attention. I'd often let Phil cover for me so I wouldn't get into trouble.

The problem lied in me not actually learning anything new. Jschlatt's ability to store knowledge by entering contact with a physical document and one visit to the library one time by asking one of the caretakers to let me touch all of the books, to which she complied likely thinking nothing of it, gave me all the knowledge I needed.

Still, I was the quiet kid that didn't interact with anyone and stood on the sidelines with nothing more than a hollow face to show. The nuns would often treat me worse for some "holy" reason. However, I was aware of everything in my surroundings. For example, the worries of the caretakers about the lack of food. I didn't need to eat being a god and all, but that would be odd to observe, so I did.

Regardless, their worries didn't stop there. I had been around for a very long time, and I have seen this chain of events many times before. A period of crisis, a rising discontent with the current government and riots happening left and right. Revolution was coming with war on its way, and this orphanage was a victim of the new era.

One day, when I was seven according to my vessel, a bunch of specialists came to our orphanage. They checked the children for magical aptitude, and eventually they got to me. I did my best to hide my power, yet I still proved to be one of the most powerful mages in the world by pure talent. I'll likely be drafted to war. If that's the case, then I might make it look like I want to. I mean, I'm no stranger to the wastelands of a battlefield. In fact, the smell of blood feels like home to me, so in a way it is convenient for me to volunteer. Who knows, I might get promotions and get a favorable placement in the world.

And so I enlist to the Imperial Army with the fake image of a patriotic, brave and selfless boy. From what I've heard, I am not the only child who has. Strange. Kids don't naturally gravitate toward the army, even if they're very patriotic. I'll see if at I can come across the young soldier, I thought at the time. I didn't have to wait for long though, since we met each other at the Military Training Camp.

Tanya Degurechaff. She, like me, is an oddball. She is very strict with orders, whether it's to obey or enforce them. Her sheer presence is more frightening than every single soldier in this camp combined. She is cunning and smart, always alert to everything she can learn and use. She is what could best be described as the ideal soldier. We didn't have any issues with each other since I just choose to follow orders and not raise my voice.

We were both nine years old when we graduated and were promoted to Warrant Officers. The two of us were put in command of the artillery firing squad before our first mission. We were sent to Norden for it.

____________________________________________________________

"Fairy 08 to Norden Control. Fairy 08 to Norden Control. Acknowledge."

"Fairy 09 to Norden Control. Fairy 09 to Norden Control. Acknowledge."

Dave and I were offering aerial support to the artillery and ground troops. As two mages who were the same age and theoretically similar level, we ended up together in an attempt to let us stay motivated through one another.

"Fairy 08, Fairy 09, this is Norden Control. We read you loud and clear. No problems tracking you."

Though this didn't matter for either of us. As far as I'm aware, both of us don't care about each other, even if we pretend to.