Chapter 3 - Twin Silvers

Elegant brutality. There was no other way to describe the battle. Though we were both on the ground slowly spiraling into unconsciousness, I smiled at the fight that just happened.

It all began with the two of us going after a stray mage who dared to go a little farther ahead of the group heading after us. After dashing past him, we looped upwards and lined up a shot. When the soldier noticed, the only thing he could do before we fired was cast a barrier and protect his face with his arms. Naturally, his magic shield couldn't hold its own against mages of our caliber and the result was him having his superior limbs destroyed. The heat from the explosive shots made it even more painful for his exposed flesh and loose nerves.

Neither of us bothered to pay attention to him anymore as he was stuck in midair screaming in agony and terror as he bled out. We went after three more mages who attempted to take us out, failing miserably. We quickly shot down and killed two of them, and began chasing after the last one.

Amidst this chase, four more mages appeared behind us and started blasting. In order to avoid the bullets coming our way and stall of the remaining two minutes, Tanya and I went higher and higher. I can think of the dance moves. as I fly.

Go left. Rise up. Roll Right. Turn around. Fire. Fall down. Rinse and repeat. Barrel Roll.

Wait, what?

Anyway, the two of us soon found a small issue.

*Click*

Despite pulling our triggers, no bullets came out. We had run out of ammo, and all we had left was the dagger in our bayonets. Is what I would say, if I didn't have a brilliant idea as to how to deal with them. I saw Tanya drop down into one of the enemy mages, and land a powerful kick onto him, making him drop his gun. I rose towards the sun and turned around, temporarily blinding anyone with their eyes on me. Surprisingly, she also got out of their sight somehow.

As the two of us quickly looked at each other, we picked our targets. Three lined up mages looking for us. I grabbed the one on the left, and she grabbed the one on the right. The one in the middle had no way of getting out of our combined attack alive.

""Gotcha.""

As if on sync, we began overloading both of our Computation Jewels in order to blast us far away and our enemies into smithereens. I turned myself in the same direction Tanya did so I could make sure she, as a human, could survive the fall. Thankfully, the landscape below us was full of trees to cushion our fall.

And that brings us to the current point of time, the two of us lying against a pine tree. I would trigger my sleep later to let our fellow Empire soldiers do their own thing. Given the two of us would survive, no enemy would think of killing these two random kids and we would eventually get rescued by the infantry once the battle was over and they could search the area. I would pay to see the face of the people going over our little war curriculum, but I suppose that'll have to wait.

While we were still awake, I decided to do small talk. After all, she was still an enigma for me and I was an enigma for her.

"We truly are similar. Can't believe you thought of sacrificing yourself like I did."

"Shut up, Dave. We both know you wanted to do it."

"That's true. Still, I'm glad we are on the same page so often. I wonder if I can read your mind by merely thinking."

"I don't think that's how it works."

"Anyway, if we go to heaven, let's have a drink. I'm sure God will greet us with glory."