let's dance (to the dream blunt rotation)

a/n: hello again! hope you enjoy this sweetness! it's a little short but it's a perfect representation of most of the characters in this story!

_________________________________

Melody, Steve and James had trailed single file through the patio doors: Her brother had obnoxiously swiped another few plastic red cups from the table, unsure if they were fresh and refilled them at the keg for the trio. The room was flooded once again with intoxicated adolescents and clusters of them mounded in the centre of the room to the captivating beat. The grunge drumming of of Jimi Hendrix's Voodoo child enveloped the teens, and swept them up into a rifle wave of frenzied madness. Melody clasped the cup to her chest as she shut her eyes to allow the swelling tide of Slight Return to douse her sweet frame. She floated in the crowd under compulsion from the alcohol, grinning widely.

James hung back against the wall ogling her her; his steel blue eyes lingering over her body as she swung her hips captivatingly, hair taking wing. She was radiating emanate, glorious beauty in the twinkling spotlight. Dazzled beneath the disco ball hung above the centre of the room, Melody was bewitching, bathing in the light gloriously. She glimpsed at the gawking bystander, winking cheekily. James wiggled two of his fingers at her with a cocky smile spreading across his face. Steve clocked his gaze and moved to intervene in the centre of his view. His large stature blocked his fixation, causing James to groan under his breath. The blonde man problematically sent him a thorny stare: Steve's brows raised and his cumbersome figure tensed.

"You alright, James?" Steve asked stepping closer to the other man. The closure of proximity made James watch him intently, cautious.

Perplexed, James brushed his hair behind his ears and braced himself for Steve to defend his sister from him: the sudden change in Rodger's eyes was dark. "Yeah man, are you?"

"Mhm," He agreed with a hum. Steve perched on the wall next to him, arms still folded over his broad chest. They both gazed across at Melody, still jiving in the mental cluster of dancers. "She's pretty great, isn't she?"

James tutted, lifting his head from his spellbound daze to reluctantly turn his attention towards Steve. "She's fantastic, sure, but it's not-"

Cutting him off with a pat on the shoulder, Steve smirked: eyes heavy and drooping from intoxication. "Buck, I like you. Can I call you Buck?"

James's face screwed itself up, baffled at the interaction. "I mean, sure." His head turned fully to accommodate Steve's slurring glance. "If you want."

"Buck, if you hurt her, I kill you." He spluttered, hand now falling against the wall as he rolled and sprawled against the white paint. Steve knocked a painting 90 degrees with his large head, and elaborately flayed his arms as he noted his mishap.

'How intimidating' James scoffed internally.

"Go dance with her." Steve urged, shoving him forward from the wall and to the churning tide of people spinning in front of them. "She likes you."

"How can you tell?" James retorted quickly, voice raising slightly as he began to be sucked in to the sea of intimacy craving dancers. Before Steve could answer him he was sucked into the whirlpool, clamouring through the crowd. His towering frame was larger than most surrounding him; easily whittling Melody out of the crowd and diving towards her.

The mass divided for him, people cowering away and turning back to their partners as they chattered. In the centre of the frenzy was Melody, who gleamed brightly as she caught sight of the other man: arms extending towards him excitedly as she mouthed the words to the song booming through the speakers. James decided to clasp her delicate hands in his, being tugged and ultimately colliding with the Rodgers girl's body. They drew together gracefully, Melody harmonious to the chorus with her relentless head-banging. She was crapulent: legless, her gaze trickled across his body, enticed by her view. "You're here!" She exclaimed, swaying to the music.