Chapter 5

"Ugh," I say as I look at the ceiling which is blue instead of white like normal.

"Where am I," I say sitting up in extreme fear. The walls are pink with black polka dots. The dresser is light blue.

"I have to get out of here," I say running to the closet looking for my shoes.

"Where are my shoes," I ask. The only thing I find is a pair of black pumps and shoes that are white but have black running across the middle. Like the old shoes, you see in movies with the girl in a poodle skirt.

"Are you awake sweetie come get your breakfast?" I hear someone yell

Where the heck am I, I think to myself I ran to the vanity sitting in this strange room.

"AHHHHH!" I scream. "MY HAIR". My hair was short but curly and very flamboyant. My grandma had this haircut, it was like Marilyn Monroes. I was so concentrated on my hair I didn't even notice I was wearing a white blouse tucked into a maroon skirt. What kind of clothes are these I wondered.

Ring Ring* The phone rings. I slowly walk over to the nightstand, beside the bed I woke upon. I noticed the phone was very old, with a dial. I pick it up very hesitantly and say "Hello?"

"Hi, Adrienne How are you doing," A lady says

"You know me?" I ask

"Yes, and I heard what you said last night," The lady says

"I don't remember what it was I said last night, In case you didn't notice I was under duress," I say impatiently

"I'll remind you, I wish I didn't live here, does that ring any bells?" The lady says

"How do you know I said that, who are you?" I ask

"That doesn't matter, the point is you are here because you wished not to live in Montana anymore. You are here to have a second shot at life, I'm not gonna tell you what you are looking for, But you are practically on a mission, the best thing that happens in your life will happen here. You will know when you see." The lady says

"No that's not fair I wanna go home I don't know where I am or who anyone is," I say

"Play along with everything, I'll give you a call when it's time to come home. Enjoy the 50s Lori." She states while hanging up.

"The 50s? I'm in the 50s" I state confusingly.

"Are you ok honey, I heard you yell?" some woman I have never seen before asked.

"Yea I'm fine" I play along like the woman said so I could get out of here as soon as possible.

"Well, come to get your breakfast," The woman says with a bright smile.

I follow her down a set of spiral stairs when I walk into a kitchen that has flowered wallpaper from top to bottom. I see a man sitting at the table with a briefcase sitting next to him on the floor. They must be my parents.

"Are you ready for the geometry exam today?" The man asks. I raise an eyebrow, a geometry quiz, I'm already off to a great start here I think to myself.

"Yea, I studied hard," I say lying.

"How did you know what to study for, we just moved here." The woman asks while putting pancakes, bacon, and eggs on my plate.

"I um just took a guess," I say, they must still require you to take a test even if you just moved here I thought to myself.

"Eat up, gotta be ready for your big day." She says to me

"Alright, I'm heading off to work, have a nice day darling." The man says while kissing the woman on her forehead.

"Be safe, John" The woman said. 

At least I know his name I say to myself. I finish eating breakfast which I believe to be the best I've ever had. I rinse my plate off and put it in the sink. The woman kissed my Forehead and handed me my books.

"Have a nice day sweetie, Oakie should be home tonight." The woman says

I smile warmly despite not knowing who Oakie or anyone was.

I walk out of the front door. Everything was much brighter here, warmer. I walk down my front porch stairs and I see a couple carrying books walking towards what looked like, the city, so I cleverly decided to follow to find my way to school.