Chapter 7

On my way home I see several couples walking to wherever they were going to while I was alone. I started to think of Alex and the tragic event that took place last night. How could I let myself believe he wanted me. So foolish. When I was abruptly shoulder swiped I turned around to see a black-haired boy turn around to look at me.

"I'm sorry," he says

When I look up at this extremely tall guy looking down at me I see forest evergreen eyes looking back at mine. I realize he raised an eyebrow. How long have I been staring at him I thought.

"Your fine, I uh, no it's ok" I reply nervously.

I look down at my feet hoping he would just walk away.

"You sure you're ok," he says while grabbing my elbow.

I was so concentrated on what he looked like I didn't notice the girl standing behind him, also a greaser, his girlfriend.

"No I'm really fine, thank you," I say flashing him a warm smile.

"Come on Jessica it's not playtime we got stuff to do," the girl with him said.

They turn around and walk away. His name must be Jesse I wondered. He looks so familiar, somehow.

I walk through my front door, put my books down and head upstairs to my room. I look for a new outfit to wear to the diner with the girls. I find a pretty pink flowered dress. That's very exuberant at the bottom. I grab a pair of black heels and change. I touch up my makeup a bit, add more red lipstick, and headed downstairs.

"How was your day sweetie" The woman whose name I still don't know asked

"It was great, some of the girls asked me out for dinner," I say

"Oh great, I'm glad you are getting along well, don't be out too late ok Oakies gonna be home," She says

"Ok I'll be home soon," I say still not knowing who Oakie is

Before I walk back outside I check the clock and see it's about 4:30. I should have plenty of time to make it to the diner. I walk in front of a bunch of stores that I'd like to go inside of at some point. I never liked shopping but they had more interesting things here.

I see Diane ahead walking with Mary Sue I ran to catch up.

"Hey Adrienne, glad you could make it, Joann is gonna be a bit late, she had to get her sister off the bus," Diane said

"Her mom went grocery shopping, an odd time to pick," Mary Sue said

"How do you guys think you did on the test," Diane asks

"I think I did great, there were a couple of problems I was a little lost on," Mary Sue said

"I think I did ok, but you never know they like to be tricky and you get the opposite of what you were expecting," I say cackling.

Diane and Mary Sue just gave me a blank look.

When we walk into the restaurant my eyes widen at the bright lights and black and white tiled floor. The old booths. And a milkshake bar. I was so mesmerized at the brilliance of this simple building.

"Where do you want to sit," Diane asked

"Let's sit in that booth over there, so Joann has a place to sit when she gets here," Mary Sue says

A blonde-haired waiter wearing a white button-up shirt, a hat, bowtie, and khakis walked toward our table.

"What can I get for you guys today," He asked.

"We are waiting on someone right now," Diane said as Joann walked through the door and took a seat beside me.

"Well, she's here now," Diane said giggling.

"I'll take a vanilla milkshake," Mary Sue said

"I'll have a chocolate milkshake," Diane said

"I'll have what she's having," Joann said pointing her finger towards Diane

"I'll have a strawberry milkshake with a side of fries," I say

"Ok we will have that to you soon," The waiter says

"Why didn't you guys get anything other than a milkshake," I ask

"Well, the fries here aren't that great," Joann says

The waiter serves us our food at the table in a quick amount of time. I dip my french fries in my strawberry milkshake. Mary sue, Joann, and Diane all gave me a weird look. I look up from my booth and two booths behind me I see the same green eyes I saw earlier. Staring back into mine. The same guy I had bumped into earlier.

"Adrienne, I think Jesse Wrights got a little crush on you," Joann said noticing the gaze we both had

I looked away quickly when all the girls started giggling.

"I think Adrienne has a little crush on Jesse," Mary Sue said cackling

"I do not," I say defensively

"Sure, we didn't notice you staring at him," Diane said sarcastically

I might as well ask about him since there wooing over the situation.

"Who is he, what does he do," I ask

"He is one of the best-looking boys at school, every girl is crazy over him," Diane said

"He has been out with many girls though, several" Mary sue said

I shake my head knowing this information. I'm not gonna let myself fall for a greaser anyways. I'll just get hurt. The movies aren't real life. I start to feel jealous realizing what Mary Sue said. I don't even know him, how could I get jealous.

"Adrienne he's coming over here," Joann said in a whisper as she giggled

I look up and sure enough, he is my eyes widen the closer he gets to the table.

"How's that arm doing sweetheart," Jesse said with a strong accent

"Great, I go by Adrienne, ya know," I say boldly.

"Oh fiery, I like that, you wanna go out with me tomorrow," Jesse asked

I roll my eyes back in my head.

"Sorry sweetheart, I don't go out with people whos already dating," I say arrogantly

What has gotten into me I never talk to anyone like this I thought to myself.

"Oh so you weren't looking at me the whole time, the girl that was with me was my cousin," Jesse said

I shrink into my seat not wanting to say anything more. I never act like this, to begin with.

"I think you owe me a date since you wanna make assumptions," Jesse said

"I don't owe you anything," I say meanly, covering my mouth afterward realizing how harsh my words have been.

"I'm sorry," I say

"Nah, don't worry about it princess, your loss"

As soon as I start to feel bad for this man he hits me with this bombshell. Good thing I didn't say yes.

"That was superheated," Mary Sue said as everyone started laughing.

I look back at the booth and he was gone.