My hero

Laying back against the uncomfortable pillows in her hospital bed Cassiel tried to find a position that didn't hurt. It was a pointless action because everything hurt and trying to switch up her position wasn't helping at all. Giving up, Cass sent a brief glance around the room she'd been given to recover in; she couldn't help but feel nervous. After the detectives had left, the events of today came crashing down on her still slightly sluggish mind all at once. She'd been mugged, shot and officially outed as a mutant all in a span of seconds.

Sighing dejectedly Cassiel closed her eyes as she tried to calm herself down like her dad had taught her. Breathe slowly and center yourself, Cassiel.. breathe. Just breathe.

Things weren't as bad for mutants since the Avengers formed in 2012 with Dr Banner joining. Then with the later additions of Aurelia Stanislov, Wanda and Pietro Maximoff the world had seen the mutants in a positive light even going so far as to officially call them heroes. It gave her father's team of X-Men a second chance to help where they could. Still, this was going to take some time to adjust to what surely was going to be a lot of attention of the kind she didn't want.

Opening her weary eyes she turned to look out the floor to ceiling windows that showed downtown Manhattan. She was in the Avengers Tower or so the kind nurse had told her. Apparently a passing member of the team had caught her mid fall and brought her here to get medical help. In doing so they'd saved her life for which she was extremely grateful because she wasn't done living yet.

Having been on this Earth for fifty-seven years Cassiel had gotten to live her dream, but that was over now because she officially retired after this last tour. She would now be known as the former Prima Ballerina for the New York Ballet Company. Her life's purpose was gone. Sure had her school, but never again would she be in the spotlight. Have the crowds cheer and clap for her again after dancing her heart and soul out for everyone to enjoy. It wouldn't have mattered much anyway because that asshole had shot her in the leg.

While she was healing quickly Cassiel could feel the way her muscles were going to stay damaged for quite a long time. It was going to take months, possibly a year or longer of physical therapy to get back to full dancing strength. Gently rubbing her hand on her stomach wound she wondered if it affected if she could still have children. Having been so focused on her career and her students she hadn't had the time to start a family. The idea that she'd lost that ability had her heart squeezing a little.

Shifting yet again to try and get comfortable had her wings knocking over the plastic pitcher of water on the side table. Rolling her eyes in annoyance Cass tried one more time to tuck them away. Groaning in pained frustration when it was no use she gave up. Cassiel was too exhausted mentally and physically and too in pain and until her strength came back they would be out for everyone to see.

The sound of the door opening pulled her attention from her stubborn wings, making her smile. "Daddy, Uncle Logan-"

Pointing his index finger at her Logan gave her his signature Wolverine stare down. The only problem with that was it had never worked on Cassiel. The first time he'd tried was when they met back when she was six, the result? He'd ended up playing tea party with her after Charles had suggested his crankiness stemmed from him not having lunch and obviously needing a nap. "Don't try to pull that 'daddy', 'Uncle Logan' bullshit on us, Pip. Doc's orders are that you stay put in that bed until she says otherwise."

Scoffing in irritation, Cass crossed her arms under her breasts as she glared at the man she called uncle. "Since when did James Logan do what anyone, let alone a doctor, told him?"

"Since it was you in that bed instead of me." At his gruff tone laced with real emotion Cassiel's irritation softened. Holding her hands out for him and her father she waited until her dad and Logan came around to either side of her bed. Once his rough paw of a hand was resting in hers Cass sent him a small smile.