7

Word Count: 1357

~Vaela

"I don't like him."

Collapsing down onto the couch, I tug a blanket over myself, glaring at Will. I'm too distracted by this strange feeling of loss that has settled within me. It feels wrong to have left the cave, to have left Hale.

"You're not meant to, he's a Sin," Eyla responds, pushing past him to come sit next to me on the couch.

Will's jaw is set in a firm line, a distasteful look swirling in his eyes. "The fact that he was acting like he was going to see you again, Vaela."

"He's not," I mutter, closing my eyes.

I'm not sure, but irritation is digging itself between my temples, becoming increasingly more painful. I forgot how invasive Will can be, especially when he thinks I need protecting.

"You can admit that's he's hot, and you're intimidated," Eyla notes, grinning. I nudge her with my elbow, knowing exactly what she is doing.

Riling Will up has always been like a hobby to her.

"He's a pureblood. The whole point is they look perfect," Will mutters sourly, pacing back and forth, sometimes pausing to glance out the curtains. "Makes it easier for them to manipulate idiots."

Eyla rolls her eyes. "You're the only idiot here."

"You can go now, Will." I flick my fingers towards the door, raising a brow at him. My headache is worsening with him in the room, getting to the point I'm wincing.

He frowns. "You need my help."

He stands by the door still, as if Hale is going to march straight back in here. I'm considering letting him stay, but only if he lights the fire, because the air in my house is icy cold.

"I'll manage just fine," I mutter bitterly.

"Hale isn't coming back. He's a pureblood. He doesn't want you," Will bites back.

He doesn't look at me. He never does when he says something vicious, meant to shred me apart. I dealt with that for a long time before I decided I couldn't handle it anymore. He wants me to think I'm unattractive. He doesn't want me to desire Hale.

I smirk. "Stop reminding me of why I dumped your ass."

"Ouch, that's got to hurt." Eyla threads her fingers through mine under the blanket, grinning at me.

"I'm not planning on fucking the man, or anything," I reiterate, blinking slowly through the pain ricocheting off the walls of my skull. "And he's not coming back, so drop it."

Eyla frowns, seeming to notice my wincing.

"How do you feel?"

I lay down, resting my head against the arm of the couch, kicking my legs out over her. "Honestly not great. I've got a headache."

"I forgot about those things." Eyla hoists herself off the couch, pushing past an offended Will. "I'll make you some hot tea."

I stare gratefully at her departing figure, before shifting my attention to a sulking Will. He still stares at the door, a strange sense about him.

He finally looks at me, eyes colder than chips of ice. "Well, I'm staying. If any immortal comes in here, you're going to need protection."

I almost snort. Protection? Against a pureblood? What could any of us do if he intended to harm us?

He leaves the room and into the office, seemingly to calm himself down.

"He's going to make me a murderer," I mutter coldly, sitting up as Eyla comes in to hand me a cup of steaming tea.