43

Word Count: 1429

~Vaela

Dragging my wary body from the hot spring, I wrap a towel around me.

It's been an exhausting week. Hale has kept me busy almost every waking moment, but I'm not complaining. For the first time in a long time I feel genuinely happy.

I have my mate, a place to live that I've truly come to love, and Eyla has been coming to visit often.

But there is one looming issue I can't shake off.

Keo. And our foolish bargain that I need to get out of soon, before he calls on me for more of my blood.

The door opens and Hale walks in, looking tense. I sent him out today with a solution in mind. There is no guarantee it is going to work, but Keo will be expecting me soon.

"Any luck?" I ask softly.

Hale nods grimly. "Relm agreed to meet with you, like you asked."

I smile, relieved. It's not as if it solves all my problem, but it's the start I need. This time, however, I'm going to have to make sure I don't end up in a position where he has the power over me again.

"You don't look as happy about this as I am," I say, leaning down to grab my clothing.

"You cannot trust him. He does not do anything that doesn't benefit him," he says, watching as I drop my towel and start dressing myself again.

I roll my eyes. "Lucky this benefits him then."

"I'm being serious. I don't want him to hurt you again," Hale says weakly. He's trying to keep hard front, but I can see behind his eyes that he's struggling to accept this, just like with Keo.

I grab his hands. "I think I'm right about this, and if Relm really wants to save the passage between realm's, he will listen to me."

"What if he kills you afterwards?"

I sigh through my nose. Maybe he will, but for some reason, after I met him, I don't actually believe it."

"Believe it or not, Relm actually seemed to have a conscience. He was affected by me dying so much so that he had to leave the room. I believe he thought he was doing the right thing," I explain slowly.

Hale frowns, staring at me as if I've gone insane.

"You're telling me that the man who I've known from centuries ago that was cruel and vicious suddenly has feelings?" he questions.

"May I remind you that everyone current thinks you, the Immortal Prince, is pure evil and cannot be trusted," I tell him, folding my arms over my chest.

Obviously I don't believe that now, but were I to make any more friends, I would be cautious about introducing my mate to them.

Hale sighs dramatically. "I'm only really nice to you, and Eyla is an extension of that. Relm has no allegiance to you."

"Maybe he will, if I help him."

Hale runs his hand down his face, thinking. I tap my foot impatiently, not wanting to have to do this without him wanting it too.

"Alright fine. But I have to be there," he eventually conceedes.

Grinning, I stand on my tip-toes and kiss his cheek. "Thank you. From now on, I'm not going to be pawn in Keo's game."

***

We ultimately chose a place in Hale's territory to meet Relm.

I'm the one who pointed to an intimate lounge that has people nearby, but not close enough to hear our conversation, or to look and see the strange people who are gathering to talk.