Chapter 16 - The Guuji of the Narukami Shrine

*Kazuha POV*

"...you've got to choose the worst timing... Yae Miko."

And that's basically what happened.

After Scaramouche and I fled from the Komore Teahouse, Scaramouche bumped into a tall woman who is in fact Yae Miko, the head priestess of Narukami Shrine.

At first, I would've seen her as an ally, but since Miko knew Scaramouche's real name, I'm guessing she's the person he didn't want to go to. And she is probably an ally of the Raiden Shogun.

Scaramouche didn't try to run away from her, meaning she probably has formidable strength.

He stayed there, staring at her without flinching. She wore a smirk, almost hinting that she had ill intentions.

She finally stopped staring at him and spoke.

"So, Kunikuzushi, you made a new friend. I'm sure Ei would love to hear of that. Still, a shame that he's wanted by the Shogun. You run in Tenshukaku with him, he's getting struck down first."
"And? I'm not going in Tenshukaku. Let's not forget that for many years I roamed Inazuma."

Yae Miko looked at me and back at Scaramouche. She let out a small smile.

"My my, what a rebellious boy you became. Let's hope that stubborn attitude of yours won't guide you to a loss of something important for you."

She turned her back to Scaramouche and walked away.

"So, that's all you're going to do? Tell me random nonsense and get going?"
"What? You want help with something?"

Scaramouche didn't seem to have the courage to say anything, so I spoke up.

"I want to know a way to keep living in here, at least until the Vision Hunt Decree is abolished. Please.", I begged.

The shrine maiden turned around and gave me a big smile.

"Kunikuzushi, you should take example of that friend of yours. His good manners contrasts to yours and could help you have more allies everywhere you go. Follow me."

Before Scaramouche had the chance to retort, I spoke up first.

"Don't say that about him. He's the best person I ever met.", I replied, without thinking.

I don't know if I looked mad, but judging by the teasing look on Yae Miko's face, I believe I did look a bit overprotective. Meanwhile, Scaramouche stayed behind my back, looking embarrassed.

We followed Yae Miko to the foot of the mountain. At the top of it was the Grand Narukami Shrine. She pointed to a hole that was in the mountain.

"This is where we're going. Most of the guards aren't aware of this place."

She climbed up the mountain and both Scaramouche and I followed her. The place was pretty dark, but there was a beautiful gate resembling those of the shrine. Flowers complimented the ancient look of this "cave".

Yae Miko sat down on her knees, Scaramouche and I mimicked her once again.

"So, whatever you want to know?"