Chapter 3

Poppy

My heartbeat was rapid with anticipation, and my ears were rotated backward with fear. By the time Echo finished explaining her idea to Empress, both of us were sweating with nervousness. Who were we kidding? This won't work. This is another plan with no details, and a heaping of ignorant confidence.

"So? What do you think?"

Echo gulped and my back leg trembled with anxiety. I had a feeling that Empress would reject our idea. She always found some way to debunk our entire plan and find every loophole. She always said that our plan needed to be concrete, with no flaws or cracks. Finally, she spoke.

"By the Badger-that idea's ludicrous."

My ears drooped and Echo slouched.

"Report back to me when you can actually give me every detail, but for now, the answer is no."

My eyes widened with shock, and I felt a shiver make its way down my back.   

"So-all we have to do is work out the kinks?"

"More like, actually come up with a plan, little kit."

I nodded eagerly, a smile creeping onto my face. A rustle sounded from the edge of the den, and I turned my head to see Echo's tail disappear into the brush. I left after, but not to follow, to give myself time to think.
❀❀❀
I sat in my nest, staring unblinkingly at the tattered leaves surrounding the den. My chest ached with nervousness, and my tail flicked back and forth. I considered all variables; Seth's escort, his alertness, the time and place the plan would be executed, and most of all, a way to drive him out of view of the other animals.

My ears perked as, without any further warning, Echo fell out of the top of my den. She got up and shook her pelt rid of leaves.

Echo bounded over me fervently.

"So? Have you thought of a plan yet? I have the method and the cover-up all planned out, so now we just need the place and time!"

"I have the place and time, but the bad news is, the time is... slightly inconvenient. The earliest we can try is-Friday."

I expected an explosive or brash reaction but was surprised when Echo nodded with enthusiasm and said:

"Right. I've already told Empress everything, so all we need to do is update her on this."

I tilt my head, in surprise , mostly. Usually Echo is impatient and headstrong, but at the moment, she was unusually agreeable.

"Good, good. Remember that even if the plan isn't actually being executed as of now, be careful, and don't tell anyone.

"Ok!! Now we just need to practice."

"Should I be concerned about what "practice" is?"

"Maybe!?"