Origin Pt.10: Broken

The happy couple announced their engagement to everyone on the ranch; everyone was thrilled. The couple agreed that they wanted a small wedding. Ekta felt joy for the young ones; she'd never seen them so happy. A month passed, and during that time, Laureana, Ekta, and other female servants assisted in making the wedding dress.

It was a week before the wedding; Laureana and Ekta were in her room, finishing the last touches of the wedding dress."The wedding is almost here, child. Are you excited?"

"Yes, I would have never imagined myself getting married. Luke is everything I could ever ask for. Where is he, by the way? I wanted to talk to him about the church."

"He is in town buying some supplies. He said he would come home in the evening." Ekta finished sowing. "What I find strange is that he never mentioned his own family. Do you know if any of them are going to arrive?

Laureana remembered the previous conversation she had had with Luke regarding his father. He told her not to mention the topic. She wondered if he knew about her. "He never told me. All I know is that his father is ill and has little time to live."

"I know it's none of my concerns, but three days prior, I noticed him reading his journal; he looked stressed.

Laureana was curious about Luke's journal. She couldn't shake off the feeling that he was hiding something. "I'll be right back."

Before Ekta responded, Laureana left her room and headed toward Luke's study. Upon arrival, she entered and went behind the desk, only to find piles of books and paperwork. His journal couldn't be found.

She then opened the cabinets of the desks and took out papers. Laureana accidentally bumped on the table and dropped some documents on the floor. She knelt to pick them up until something caught her eye. Under the desk, there was a small hole. She put her fingers inside and felt something. That's when she knew it was a hidden compartment and opened it; the journal was found. Laureana opened it and began to read it.

Ekta knocked and entered the study. The elderly woman was worried about why she hadn't returned. "Child, are you-?" The older woman noticed Laureana sitting on the floor with a tear-stricken face. "Dear child, what is the matter!?"

"I-I cannot believe this!" The young woman wept as the journal fell from her hands. Ekta knelt beside her and grabbed the journal. After reading a couple of pages, Ekta felt her heartfelt distraught.

...............................................

Luke arrived home by evening. He got off the wagon and walked toward his house. He stopped momentarily when he noticed a couple of servants standing by a wagon with boxes and chests. This confused him as he entered his home. "Laureana!" There was no answer. Luke was about to call her again but saw Ekta standing by the hallway.

"She awaits you in her room."

"Ekta, what's going on? There's a wagon outside."

"Go to her; it will be explained to you."

He ran to Laureana's room; the door was slightly opened. Laureana sat on her bed; her beautiful hair was in disarray. When Luke approached her, she slapped him across the face and threw his journal. "Laureana, what...?"

"How dare you!? You made a fool out of me!" Luke was stunned by the sudden impact; his eyes lowered to the floor and saw his journal; his heart and stomach sank. "I can't believe you were hiding this secret from me! You have a child with another woman!"

"L-Laureana, please let me explain!"

"What is there to explain!? You lied to me!"

"That woman was nothing to me! She was nothing more than a prostitute that I hired during my travels! It was a mistake!"

Laureana felt her heart shattering into small pieces. "A mistake that resulted in her having your son!"

Luke felt his soul wanted to escape his body; everything was going wrong. "I-I don't even know if that child is mine! She had other clients and only went to my father because she heard of my success. That damned prostitute is pushing her child on me!" He grabbed her arms and knelt before her. "I love you and only you, Laureana! I want to marry and be with you for the rest of my life!"

"A man does not keep such a secret from the woman he loves. You still laid with her, and there's still the possibility of the child being yours." Tears dripped from her eyes as she got away from his grip. "Your Father knows of me; he is against us being together since I'm Mexican. He will never accept us to be together either way. He seemed happy and proud that his grandson was born from a white woman, even if she was a harlot."

"I don't care what he thinks! He-"

"You mentioned in your journal that your Father will disown you and go to court for the money he lent you." She distanced herself from him. "Ekta and I will leave tonight. I gathered all my things."

Luke's eyes widened; he wrapped his arms around her waist. "No! You can't leave! Not after all we have been through! My father can have everything! You are my life; there would be no point living without you!"

Deep down, she wanted to believe him. However, she felt betrayed, which intensified the pain in her heart. "I am not worth losing everything you already took from my family and me. Let me go; Ekta is waiting for me."

"N-No! Please, you can't leave me here! Yo te amo (I love you)!"

Laureana tried pushing him off her; he would not lessen his grip. She punched him in the face and head. "Let go of me, Luke! I cannot live like this!"

"Please give me a chance and time! I-!" Without warning, he was hit with a glass bottle across the face, making him lose his grip on her.

"I'm so sorry." Laureana ran out of the room and ran to the exit; Ekta followed her. Once outside, the women got onto the wagon. The workers were informed of the situation; all were heartbroken. Some Apache workers decided to go with the women to return to their tribe. Others chose to remain; they needed their occupation to survive. A couple was sitting in front of the wagon; they commanded the horses to move. Those who decided to leave followed.

The women sat at the back of the wagon. Ekta held onto the heartbroken young woman. "I am so sorry, child. So sorry. You did all this because you love him. Don't worry; I will take care of you."

Laureana slumped into her arms. "It hurts..."

Meanwhile, Luke ran out of the house as his blood dripped from his wound. "Laureana! Laureana! Laureana!" The bystanders said and did nothing, glaring at him as he ran toward the wagon. While running, he tripped on a hole, making him fall to the ground. "Laureana, please come back!"

The onlookers walked away to their homes, but one remained. He was hired to work in the household a month ago. He was once a slave who escaped to the North and received his freedom. He eventually moved to New Mexico with his paperwork to start a new life. Luke gave him the opportunity, and now, he watched his employer willow in agony. The African man was in his mid-twenties and stood five feet and six inches tall with a medium build. He was bald with a soft, dark beard and mustache. His eyes were dark brown with a hint of sternness. He walked towards Luke. "Sir." Luke didn't respond. "I heard what happened. I'm so sorry, but ya gotta let her go; her spirit is hurt."

Luke pounded on the ground as his blood dripped down his face. "I need to get her back, Isaac!"

Isaac gently patted his back. "It's too late now. Ya gotta accept reality and move on, sir."

Luke's tears mixed with his blood and dripped to the ground. "Laureana!"