Emiliano Quinteras

December 20, 1877

There were many tepees and wickiups in the Mescalero Apache Tribe. Many Apache people were training, hunting, cooking, sewing, or making weapons.

At the tender age of twenty-five, a young man stood at five feet and seven inches tall with light beige skin; sweat dripped from his face and neck. His light blue eyes shone like river water, and his curly golden brown hair shined like the sun. The young man's square-shaped face was clean-shaven, and his body was slightly muscular. He sat close to the river with his handmade fishing pole and waited for any fish to take his bait. "¡Malditos peces, cada día se vuelven más inteligentes! (Damn fishes, they become smarter with each passing day)."

He noticed fish swimming close toward his bait from the corner of his eye. "About time!" The fish swam past his bait. Patience was lost as he got one of his handmade knives and threw one at the fish, stabbing it. The other fish tried to swim away, but two of them were stabbed by the thrown knives. "Bulls-eye!" The young man victoriously got his prizes, put them in a bag, and walked back to the tribe.

He arrived at one of the wickiups, where a middle-aged woman sat by a fire, covered with a blanket. Beside her was a young Apache woman of nineteen years of age. She had dark tan skin; her eyes and long, straight hair were black. Her face held innocence, but her eyes held wisdom and iron. Although her appearance was thin and her stature was small, she brewed with confidence and strength. "Emiliano, you're back from fishing. If I had to guess, you used your knives again."

Emiliano cleared his throat as he entered his home. "It's not my fault. The fish aren't just falling for the bait. I decided to use my talent." He gave her the bag of fish.

"It shows that fish have outsmarted you." She took the fish out of the bag, put them on a wooden board, got a knife, and began taking off the scales.

"Yet, I arrived victorious, Gouyen." Emiliano went to the middle-aged woman, who sat silently. His eyes softened. "Mother, are you still feeling ill?"

She smiled while coughing. "No te preocupes, hijo mio. Me siento bien (Don't worry, my son. I feel fine)." She tried standing up, but her legs shook; Emiliano noticed this and gently held his Mother while sitting her back down.

Gouyen stopped cutting the fish. "Laureana, please lay down for a while; your coughing will worsen when you are not resting."

Laureana smiled. "I know that I won't win against either of you. I need to lay down."

Emiliano assisted her onto the handmade cot; she coughed. Emiliano got a cup of water and helped her lift her head as she drank. It hurt to see his Mother in such a state. He once tried to ask the town doctor for assistance but didn't want to be associated with the Apache. "I will go to Yakez for some medicine." Emiliano got out, leaving the two women alone.

Gouyen was silent as she heard Laureana coughing loudly. She went to her and gave her more water. Gouyen viewed Laureana as a Mother since her own Mother died of childbirth; her Father died of disease. Gouyen was left in the care of Ekta, who was her great-aunt. She was introduced to Laureana when she was three years old. When Ekta passed away, Laureana adopted her; she and Emiliano grew up together. "Emiliano will return with some medicine; it will make you feel much better."

Laureana finished drinking the water. "It won't make a difference, Gouyen. No matter how much medicine I drink, I am getting worse. I'm dying."

Gouyen's eyes widened. "Don't say such things! Y-!"

"Yakez told me three days ago; nothing can be done anymore. He can only give me medicine that will ease the pain."

"No, no, you're wrong! Does Emiliano know!?"