ADVENTURES ON YOUR OWN

ADVENTURES ON YOUR OWN, chapter two

rosé flowing with your chosen family

   SCARLETT'S MOTHER decided to nap for the entirety of the next day, after mumbling a "Good morning" to her daughter and a drink of water

   SCARLETT'S MOTHER decided to nap for the entirety of the next day, after mumbling a "Good morning" to her daughter and a drink of water. With left Scarlett nothing to do, until she recalled the rose garden out in the backyard. She spent the morning tending to it, sniping and pruning, and pulling out the weeds beside the snow-covered bushes.

The flowers weren't the prettiest sight; mostly dying away in the cold weather. If she had been here during autumn, they would have been blooming in burning reds. But Scarlett would see to it that she would have flowers on Christmas. It was her own yearly tradition.

She set off into the woods, and two hours later, she came marching out with an armful of lily of the valleys and an overflowing basket of ivy (not poisoned) to make as many wreaths as she wished.

Though it was well past the lunch hours, Scarlett's mother (to nobody's surprise) was still stuck in her slumber. Scarlett wasn't hungry at all, so she set off to town for ribbon and baking ingredients.

The streets had hardly changed. She was still recognized by a few shop keepers, and made light conversation. But almost an hour later, she was all stocked up on her baking things, but in the holiday season, ribbon seemed mythical.

Before she could give up and retire for the day, she eyed a fabric shop that was unfamiliar to her. Crossing her fingers, she crossed the street and entered. The door let out a little chime of bells, and the owner welcomed her with the nod of his head.

Ribbon was plentiful here. Scarlett was eyeing a silk cream colored fabric (that would look gorgeous with bishop sleeves and a square neckline) when someone stumbled into her.

"Oh, I'm so sorry! I wasn't watching where I was going!" A brunette girl apologized at once. 

Scarlett smiled at the kind looking girl. "Don't worry about it, I was in the way anyways."

"That's kind of you to say," the latter replied, blushing a little. "I'm Meg March. It's lovely to make your acquaintance. Are you new to the area?"

"I'm Scarlett Alastair! I'm not entirely new, but I've just returned from England after a few years of study."

"Alastair? Oh you must live right by my house then! I've seen your mother a few times around." Meg March practically sparkled when she spoke. She was lively and attentive, but gave off a sense of maturity and composure.

"Oh, you live the two story home! It's very pretty," Scarlett said in turn.

Meg lit up. "You should come over - if you'd like! I'm sure my family wouldn't mind at all."

"Tonight?"

"Oh, yes! Please do, we'd love to get to know you!"

She flushed pink. "Alright then! Thank you!"

To say that Scarlett was over the moon was an understatement. She was almost glowing - her eyes shining and warm happiness stirring n her stomach. Meg had to hurry out to head back home, so Scarlett purchased the cream colored silk and enough ribbon to last the next year.

   Meg March burst into her home, face dusted red from the cold. "Marmee! I just - "

Mrs. March smiled at her eldest daughter. "Catch your breath, dear."

Meg nodded and undid her cloak while continued. "Scarlett Alastair returned from England! You remember her, don't you? I invited her over - I hope that's alright."

"Who?" shouted Jo, running down the stairs with Amy following right after.

"Scarlett Alastair. She lives not too far from us, closer to the woods." Meg was mostly excited because there was another girl their age to spend time with.

"I remember her around," Amy recalled, setting herself gracefully onto the sofa beside Beth, who had remained quiet.

Jo wrinkled her nose at Amy for her peculiar efforts to be elegant. "Isn't Laurie also coming?"

"The more the merrier," Mrs. March reminded the girls with smiling eyes. "To-morrow is New Year's Eve after all."

Beth tilted her head and asked Meg, "What is she like?"

"She's very lovely," Meg assured the timid girl. "Her hair is blonde like Amy's, and her eyes like Jo."

   Scarlett ran the way back home, and burst through her bedroom door to find something more suitable to wear. She settled for an ivory colored day dress with long sleeves and a square neckline. She eyed herself in the mirror. Now thinking her decision over, she realized how austere her looked beside Meg. Was she not giving enough effort?

She checked on her mother just before she left, and left a bowl of warm soup for her if she cared to have it. Scarlett was growing more concerned every time her mother declined to eat.

Draping a heavy blue cloak over her shoulders, she glanced towards the grandfather clock and took off.