STICH AND SCAR

STICH AND SCAR, chapter four

chase two girls, lose the one

   WINTER SLIPPED AWAY into a moment of time as Spring washed over Concord

   WINTER SLIPPED AWAY into a moment of time as Spring washed over Concord. Small scattered wildflowers sprang from the weeds, pushing through some broken cobblestone. Arm and arm, Jo and Scarlett trampled over the poor weeds and flowers, laughing loudly without a care in the world. This was unfortunately set to a halt when they clamored through the front door of the March Residence.

Meg's voice, fueled with unusual spirit rang out. "I shall marry whomever I please, Aunt March, and you can leave your money to any one you like."

Eyes widening, Scarlett and Jo listened closer.

"Highty tighty!" said Aunt March. "Is that the way you take my advice, miss? You'll be sorry for it, by and by, when you've tried love in a cottage, and found it a failure."

"It can't be a worse one than some people find in big houses," retorted Meg.

There was a long silence, and the sounds of shuffling.

As though taking care of her words, the elderly lady said, "Now, Meg, my dear, be reasonable, and take my advice. I mean it kindly, and don't want you to spoil you whole life by making a mistake at the beginning. You ought to marry well, and help your family; it's your duty to make a rich match, and it ought to be impressed upon you."

"Father and mother don't think so; they like John, though he is poor."

"Your pa and ma, my dear, have no more wordily wisdom than two babies."

Scarlett glanced towards Jo, and did a double take, as the just grinning girl was now seething.

"I'm glad of it," cried Meg, stoutly.