THE SICKLY MOTHER

THE SICKLY MOTHER, chapter seven

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

i can see us lost in the memory

   JO HAD MADE UP HER MIND

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

   JO HAD MADE UP HER MIND. After pondering over it for months, she confided to her mother.

"You asked me the other day what my wishes were. I'll tell you one of them, Marmee," she began, as they sat down together. "I want to go away somewhere this winter for a change."

"Why, Jo?"

Jo answered soberly, "I want something new. I feel restless and anxious to to be seeing, doing, and learning more than I am. Amy is in Europe, Meg is busy with children, Laurie is in college, and Scarlett takes care of her mother all day and studies. I brood too much over my usual small affairs, and need stirring up."

"Where would you go?"

"To New York."

And then there were three.

Beth's health had taken a sudden toll, and so she remained home most days under the care of her mother. The count of Amy and Jo's letters began to fall with every month they were away. Meg was usually too occupied with her house work, so Scarlett's visits with her became very limited.

This left just Scarlett and Laurie to spend time with each other in everyone's absence. The two fit together like two peas in a pod. While Laurie thought that he preferred Jo's fierce attitude, he found himself enjoying Scarlett's company more each day. On the days that he did not have college, he would spend hours a day with her without a dull pause.

"I think you were right," confessed Laurie, as he lounged in Scarlett's living room.

"About?" answered Scarlett.

"About Jo. I think she was lonely after all. She would never have thought about New York if she hadn't been."

"Jo has always wished to travel."

"She wouldn't have left Beth."

Scarlett kept quiet.

"Red?" asked Laurie, after a pause of silence.

"Yes?" she answered.

"Have you ever loved someone?"

Scarlett stiffened, casting her eyes down, feeling warmth beginning to pool in her cheeks. "Yes. Once, long ago."

"Not anymore?"

"Yes, well people can fall out of love," she said, moving so that he wouldn't see her face full of untruth. She tried to distract herself by studying the roses just out the window.

"Why did you?"

Scarlett frowned at his persistence. "Well I just... wasn't as fond of him anymore."

Laurie was quiet for a while. "I like Jo," he finally admitted.

Scarlett could only smile past the sharp jolt heartache that shot through her body and soul. It stung up to her fingertips. "I know. It's very easy to tell."

Concern clouded in his features. "Is it so obvious?"

"To me, yes," said Scarlett with a teasing look. 

Laurie opened his mouth to speak, when a crash sounded from upstairs. Scarlett didn't waste a second, and flew up the staircase, frantic. Laurie followed suit.

"Mother?" she called, panicked when there was no answer. "Mother?"

Scarlett burst into the bedroom, where her mother should have been soundly sleeping. Horror washed over her. A glass of water had been knocked down, shattered on the floor. Her mother's arm was outstretched, as though she had been reaching for it. 

Blood trickled down her fingers. They must have been injured when the glass shattered, flying and spraying everywhere.

But that was not the lightest horror. Her mother eyes were closed, her chest unmoving. Still. 

A sob clawed at Scarlett's throat. Her knees gave out. Her head was running wild, thoughts flying too quickly to process.

Laurie lunged forward, catching her just before she could cumple to the ground. "Red, I need you to not move, okay? I'm going to call a doctor."

Scarlett couldn't hear, or feel. All at once, everything was roaring in her ears. Her body was numb.

The doctor didn't tell them anything they didn't already know. But it was hard to hear. Laurie couldn't stay long, since he had to return to college early the next day. He hugged Scarlett tightly and held on, not letting go until she did. Her eyes stung with tears.

"I'll be back as soon as I can," he promised, not missing the way she didn't meet his eyes.

Laurie came to see her every weekend, even if he wasn't supposed to. His letters to Amy and Jo became less frequent, and visits to Beth and Marmee did as well. He made sure Scarlett kept eating and sleeping, and provided updates on Amy.

The pair grew closer than they had ever been.

And very slowly, Scarlett healed.

She would never completely heal, but she allowed her grief to change and shift into a bitter friend. And that was enough.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

AUTHOR'S NOTE

thank you for all the love and attention on this story lately! i'm so sorry for the lack of updates recently, but i have a crazy month of testing and exams going on right now! thank you for being so patient with me!

also, this story might end a lot faster then i anticipated! not to worry though, i've got many new lights to shine scarlett in ;)

THE 1, theodore laurenceजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें