𝐓𝐰𝐨 | 𝐑

Rays and days, both got shorter.

That was exactly what she needed. Last week, she had complained about the searing chilliness once or twice, but then she's realized that the long nights were virtues of the season. She could tolerate the crowds better, knowing that darkness wasn't far from extricating her from people.

This morning, however, was as busy as usual. Hagrid needed a hand in building a more suitable sanctuary for his beloved beasts, including unicorns, her favorite magical creatures. By the time it was finished, the giant invited her for tea in his hut and didn't miss the opportunity to weep over his failed relationship with Madame Maxime.

The teas had no taste when compared to the one she craved the most. They couldn't envelope her whole being in a warm blanket, but she was a good listener all the same.

For once, Y/N nearly considered pulling off that mask and break down the walls of loneliness she had created around herself just to rush towards his office. She could hug Remus until the end of the world. Without waiting to rethink her decision, she instinctively got to her feet. It was a short walk up the castle, not like she couldn't manage to get there without letting those haunting voices invade her mind. Again.

In that moment, she couldn't hear a word Hagrid was saying. He was probably asking where she was heading to.

It all happened.

Nearly.

A loud knock vibrated through the ramshackle place. Both their eyes darted towards the door. As Hagrid went to answer it, she swallowed the heavy lump in her throat and pushed her feelings aside, burying them under a thick blanket beneath her heartstrings. It didn't seem like she had a moment to meet those chocolaty smiles of his. The same ones that carried a wave of relief wherever he went.

A third year student was standing by the front stairs, carrying some news for her.

It turned out Madam Sprout had discovered a new restorative treatment by using Mandrakes and a couple of rare potions, burrowed from the Potions Storeroom which once belonged to Professor Snape. The old witch was practically jumping around, full of contentment now that her assumptions were confirmed. It was something they had worked on for days. Y/N had to be happy, but her heart was somewhere else.

The rest of the day was spent navigating between school's greenhouses. Her wand absent-mindedly flickered in different directions, sorting the shelves, untying the waving plants and paying extra attention to sections that included venomous herbs.

Today was somehow different.

All her attempts at closing off her mind were failing miserably, and she was left thinking about him at every given chance, not even noticing when the hazy sun sank below the horizon and disappeared off the sky.

The more she thought, the more she felt guilty.

Long-forgotten memories were slowly but surely finding their way back to her. That particular day was as clear as day before her eyes. Minutes after witnessing her best friend losing her duel to a Death Eater, another friend of hers had lost his life on the other side of the castle. Her numb feet had wandered aimlessly around the courtyard, hoping no more of familiar faces could be found through the bloodshed.

The Fear had a tight grip on her soul. A mixture of disbelief and anticipation as she tried to grapple with the news. Hearing loud sobs of the Weasley family was the final straw. That day, she nearly gave up and fell to the ground, before two strong hands wrapped around her wounded body, bringing part of her back to life.