𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞 | 𝐈

Story 2 | Finally Learn Your Lesson

It was just a subtle touch, she tried to remind herself. An accidental brush of hands. Nothing more.

But then, if it didn't mean anything, if it was an accident, why was it that she could still feel his touch lingering on her skin even after two weeks of hearing nothing from him?

"At the end of the day, you are not the exception."

Y/N shook her head, drawing back the curtains to permit the morning sunlight into the house. It was only the beginning of the day and she didn't need those voices of reason to yell in her head while she was enjoying her coffee. However, the sight in front of her wasn't exactly enjoyable. She took another sip and leaned against the windowpane, scanning the road half hopeful, half hopeless. It had become a part of her daily routine to stay there and pine by the front yard, hoping to see a trace of him. Maybe he'd be walking past the bushes and head in her direction. Maybe he'd hide behind a tree, waiting for her to look out and notice him. Maybe he'd sneak a letter in the mailbox, only addressed to her.

But her coffee had gone cold again, and there was no sign of him. Just like yesterday. Just like last week.

That wasn't much of a problem though.

"Maybe he's busy with work. Maybe he's fallen sick. Maybe he has plans... for me, for us. Maybe..." She nodded to herself, standing up to empty the cup in the sink. She could come up with thousands of reasons to justify his absence and lull her lonesome heart just to survive another day.

She was used to waking up and finding herself as her only companion in the silence of the house. Her parents had left early for work and they wouldn't return until evening. She stood in the middle of the hallway, wondereding why she got out of bed at all.

Kids were playing, laughing and splashing water over each other in the backyard of next door house. They had recently moved in. Maybe she could visit the neighbors and then use it as an excuse to check her mailbox again. It was a tempting idea. But she stopped herself before turning the doorknob. She already knew it was empty.

If he wanted to come around, he would.

That wasn't a problem either.

Summer days couldn't be that boring.

Because in her head, she wasn't alone.

A small smile appeared on her face as she tucked herself back in the comfor of her bed, turning into a giggle as she unknowingly traced her fingers over that unforgettable spot on her arm. Right where he'd touched. Her eyes closed and just like that, he was lying next to her.

She could soothe her longing by creating sweeter endings and alternative events in her head. She could fall into a deep sleep while he was holding her. She could prepare coffee every morning and feel way too delighted about it, because in her head there were two mugs, two chairs, and two cheerful laughs that effortlessly broke the silence of every desrted atmosphere.

He would kiss her good morning. He would kiss her good night. He would kiss her whenever it was right. And to her, it always felt right. Then he would hug her lonely nights away. He would drink in her happy smiles. He would grin from ear to ear when she was giddy. He would wipe her tears when she was hopeless. He would give her more of his endless love on the days she felt unlovable.

And it was all in her dreams.

Did he know any of that? No

Did she want him to know? Maybe