Chapter 5

Olivia can't believe him. Commenting on her weight of all things? And to what? Embarrass her? Belittle her? What a dick move. She scoffs just at the thought of the righteous asshole's face, stomping down the castle hallways in a blind rage.

She had hoped—prayed, even—that her fiancé would prove her prejudices wrong, but no. He just played into them right off the bat. Olivia growls frustratedly when she trips over her stupid gown, in these stupid heels, in this stupid castle. She just wants to go home, for gods sake.

Turning around, her heart sinks when she realizes that damn it, she's lost. Of course she is, she's barely been staying here for a day and she's running off when she has no clue where the hell the exit is. Olivia drags her hands through her hair, walking dejectedly along the halls until she finds a particularly nice smelling archway. Taking a deep breath, she lights up at a familiar flower-y smell.

She jogs to the best of her high-heeled abilities, bright smile lighting up her features when she steps through the archway and into what she assumes is the Royal Garden. The concrete walls are overgrown with vines and flowers, the sun shining brightly into the circular room. A single stone fountain stands in the center of the room, a bunch of water irises floating around the water and creating the most peaceful environment Olivia's been in since she arrived at the castle. She smiles wistfully at the scene around her, feeling tears prick at her eyes.

"God," she sniffles, wiping the back of her hand over her face as she starts crying. "It's only been a day and I miss them already." Jisung, Jeongin, her father. She wants to go back home, where everything's familiar and town sized. She doesn't feel cut-out for this whole princess thing, maybe she never will be. It's not like anyone here likes her, anyway. Olivia sighs, looking up at the clear ceiling, watching the sun bounce off of and reflect against the glass and onto the walls. She closes her eyes, takes a deep breath and smiles at the image of her father.

She's only brought out of her stupor when she hears the shuffling of footsteps behind her. She sighs, turning around shamefully. "I'm sorry for running out like that, Ha—"

...

"You're... not Hannah." Olivia sighs at the sight of her fiancé, wrinkling her nose at his sheepish smile. He scratches the back of his neck, avoiding looking at her. She rolls her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest and looking at Hyunjin with contempt. Eventually, the Prince looks up and the two end up staring into each other's eyes, getting lost in one another's gazes despite their conflicting feelings.

"I'm uh," Hyunjin clears his throat, standing up straighter and looking at Olivia with the most sincere look she's seen on him so far.

"I'm sorry for what I said. It was uncalled for, and I shouldn't be treating my future wife like a dick. I will do my best to make sure it never happens again." He apologizes seriously, bowing his head shamefully. Olivia's arms slowly untangle themselves from around her body, landing next to her as she sighs. Damn her and her forgiving nature.

"Very well, Your Highness. I'll forgive you, this time." She smiles almost teasingly, and Hyunjin's shoulders visibly relax.

"Let's go back to our quarters?" The prince offers hesitantly, a boyish smile on his face. Olivia shakes her head but let's him lead her to their rooms. They walk side by side in awkward silence, Hyunjin looking straight ahead with his hands behind his back while Olivia takes in the different corridors and paintings lining the walls.

It takes them about five minutes to reach their rooms, and Olivia turns to Hyunjin as they stop outside her bedroom door.

"Thank you for walking me. I'll have to have Hannah teach me how to find my way around here." Olivia laughs light-heartedly, missing the confused look on Hyunjin's face.

"Of... course. Is there a specific side of the bed you'd like to take?"

The princess freezes just as she's about to push the door open, turning slowly to her fiancé. "Pardon me?"

"I— no-one told you we were sharing a room?"

———
end [February 4th, 2022 @ 18:50]
« dearly_somber » || « edited »
———