II

I hated not being able to find my keys.

By habit, it was the last thing I always did before leaving any place to head back to find my car. But Delia insisted on drinks and appetizers, and then dessert and coffee, and by the time she finished, I was already running late.

Hell, if I had my way, I would have wanted out before we finished our appetizers.

But I couldn't exactly tell my sister that I didn't have the time to meet her for dinner for the first time in six months, having already scheduled it six months in advance, because my vampire lover and alpha best friend required my presence to settle a turf dispute.

It's not that Delia didn't know who I was or what I did. She just didn't always listen when I tried to bring up what was going on in my life while she was in the middle of talking about hers.

But without her, I wouldn't know what was happening with Mira or Nana, so I let her talk and order coffee and dessert.

I just hoped there was turf left to dispute by the time I got there.

The lack of proper street lighting helped little as my attention remained solely within the oversized satchel on my shoulder. Even with my night vision, I needed both hands to search out the metallic keyring that held my collection of keys.

I could hear Cam now— "You know you'll never be able to find anything in there when you really need it."

I hated when she was right.

Because I could hear their footsteps a mile away. Either they didn't know who I was or they were incredibly horrible at being stealthy. It was just going to be one more thing to make me later to the meeting...

But where the hell were my keys?

Between the wallet and the bound planner, the makeup bag and the knife with the wooden blade, the Magnum and the silver bullets, I could finally feel the cool, jagged metal against my hands, but the ring was caught on the gods only knew what and refused to release itself from the confines of my bag.

And the footsteps continued to approach, closer still.

"Goddammit," I murmured as I used my knee to support the bag, hoping for some sort of leverage as I pulled at the ring. I swear, if Cam was here and watching me now...

"Lilith."

I heard them ceasing their approach at the same time I was finally able to remove the keyring from its canvas-like confines. Truly, I couldn't have planned it better if I tried because the moment the stranger called out my name was at the same instant the keys came loose, and the momentum had them flying out of my grip and slamming into their face.

The surprised and painful yelp was familiar enough that I turned around quickly, only to see Kayne, one of Sabien's vanguards, holding his nose.

"What the fuck, Lil?" he hissed through his teeth between his moans of pain, dropping his head down between his knees as if trying to staunch the blood flow.

As if vampires could even get a bloody nose.

"Next time, don't try to sneak up on me," I said as casually as I could while picking up my discarded key from the pavement. "I could hear you a block away."

"I wasn't trying to sneak," he growled. "I was sent to retrieve you."

"I told Sabien I had plans." I finally got the key in my car's driver-side door. "He and Camilla can play nice a little longer."

"The Lord of Boston doesn't like to be kept waiting." He recited it like he had had to say it so often before. I merely rolled my eyes as I opened the door and climbed into the driver's seat.

"Then you can tell him I'm on my way, unless I get there first."

I went to close the door, but a hand kept it open, reaching out faster than natural, and stronger than it should be.

"I thought I could ride back with you," he said as he eyed the empty passenger side.

I glanced over, to where my bag now occupied the seat and grinned back at him.

"Nope. Maybe next time don't try to sneak up on me."

It was my turn to use my unnatural strength and slammed the door close. I think it clipped a finger because I could hear him yell out in pain as I revved the engine.

There were certain things I could get away with, using my position as Sabien's consort.

Torturing his lieutenants was my favorite.