48. The One Where We Both Were Surprised

A/N: Dear Readers, presenting a chapter of Manik-Nandini-Roo to you all! Hope you like what you read :)

Happy Reading!

PS - Chapter not proof read, apologies in advance :(

PPS - India woke up today, to the deeply painful news of the legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar's demise. May her soul rest in peace. Om Shanti.

***

24 Warren Street, Palm Cove, Cairns, Australia circa 2019

(Manik's Guest Room, Poolside Villa)

Nandini Murthy

"No Manik, I insist that I stay here, till we've really spoken" I reiterated as politely as I could, once more, before walking into Manik's guest room. We had finally returned from Appa's, after dinner & I really needed some time-out right then to sort my head with the information explosion I had from the dinner.

Manik looked at me dejected for a couple of seconds and mumbled again, "Nandu, why are you even staying here, you should have stayed in my room from the time you came here, nah?"

"It's really okay Manik, I just need some sleep & a little bit of space. Let's talk tomorrow?" I requested as calmly as I could, even though fatigue & irritation was getting the best of me. Manik seemed to realize that I was struggling with my temper, so thankfully he didn't push further; he just placed a soft goodnight peck on my forehead and mumbled a quick 'love you' and left for his room. I quickly shut my door and flopped on the bed, covering my face between my palms. I was exhausted.

When Manik walked in and saw me at his father's place, he was too shocked to say anything for a couple of seconds & once he unfroze, he dashed to me engulfing me in a gigantic hug amidst a lot of hoots & cheers from Cabir, Priyank & Appa! I felt the intensity of the hug would crush my ribs and squeeze out my organs from my mouth, but I didn't stop it; I needed this. I needed his assurance that he was here & he was happy to see me; I needed to be doubly sure that unlike all other times between us, nothing was about to fall apart.

"Nandu.." he whispered my name like a prayer amidst the hug & just as I was about to pull out of the hug & kiss him, a polite cough from beside me made me realize where we were & I think it brought Manik out of his trance too, since we both seemed to automatically pull back & look around awkwardly.

"Rest to be continued, when away from adult supervision!" Priyank called out cheekily, earning Manik's glare & Cabir's snigger!

"Aah, so the surprise thing somehow worked out!" it was Appa who spoke this time, and suddenly the little incident from a few minutes back flashed in my mind. I looked around to see, Soha wasn't around; maybe she didn't see Manik coming?

"When did you arrive here, Nandu?" Manik's dazed voice turned my focus onto him again. I smiled as I walked with the rest of them to finally settle down around the coffee table to chat.

"It's been two days. I came here to surprise you, but I was surprised in turn to see that you're not here" I replied slowly, trying not to sound bitter so soon.

"Why didn't you tell me you're here, I'd have come sooner!" he replied earnestly.

"How'd you come sooner, Manik, by leaving Mrs. N's wedding?" I asked back, with a straight face. However, before Manik could reply, it was Appa, who spoke.

"How about we let these two catch up a little, before we join them? Come Cabir & Priyank, let us go to the patio & enjoy some drinks!"

As soon as they all left, I turned to look at Manik, my eyes held hope; hope that he'd have a legit reason for being so cryptic about his whereabouts with me. "So you know about it, I guess AK couldn't hold on any longer, could he; when did you get to know?" he asked, surprised.