thirty-five.

It isn't long before the texts from Taylor's friends and family start rolling in. Everyone remarks how happy she looks with Joe, and they all are glad to see her smiling. Most of them were there at several points in her life where she wasn't smiling like that, ever. Weirdly, as the hours pass, Taylor starts to feel like a weight has been lifted off of her shoulders. She knew that, inevitably, the media would find out about her and Joe at some point. It's happened now. It's done with. What's going to happen is going to happen, but they don't have to hide anymore.

Sure, they still want to keep their relationship relatively private. They have every right to want that. However, it's not a secret anymore. Of course, everyone in Taylor's personal life is extremely trustworthy and has proven that to her time and again. However, accidents happen. That was part of why she was scared to tell her friends. She didn't want them to accidentally say something to somebody, who goes and shares that with somebody else, who shares it with a tabloid. It's a slippery slope, and anybody who shares information like this, about none other than Taylor Swift, dating her first man since she disappeared from the public eye all those years ago... that pays well. It's too tempting for almost any person to keep secret. Whoever took the pictures that leaked is going to be able to support their family for years off of it. Taylor knows that; she's not dumb.

Joe is happy to see Taylor relaxing as the day passes, and at around 3:00, they get a text from Ben in the workshop company's group chat.

Ben: hey crew! missing all of you! i know that i said we would wait a little bit to meet and discuss offers, but it looks like most or all of the offers have come through and i want to share some news with all of you. is everyone free to hop on a zoom call at 8:00 this evening?

Taylor and Joe look at each other. "Do you know what the news is?" Joe asks her.

"I think so," she admits, "but it's not my place to say. Tell Ben that we are in."

"Will do," Joe says, looking back down at his phone and typing a response. "Well, since you're going to kill me with suspense for the next few hours..."

Taylor laughs. "Don't worry. Good news. You'll like it quite a bit, I think."

"Good," Joe says. "Do you want to take a walk down on the beach? I could use some fresh air."

"That sounds nice," Taylor replies. "Let me just grab my coat. It gets chilly out there, especially right by the water. The wind is quite strong."

"Will you grab mine, too?" Joe asks.

"Of course." Taylor walks away to grab both of their jackets while Joe starts to lace up his boots. Taylor comes back over to him and sits down beside him. "You know, I'm really glad that we came up here. Thank you for running away with me."

"Anytime, my love. You say the word and I'm yours for the weekend. You know that."

"I love you."

"I love you too." The two share a quick kiss on the lips before standing up to go outside, both smiling simply because they are so happy to be in each other's company.

After a long walk, the two come home and cook dinner together before settling in to watch some TV. Taylor bakes some cookies, and just about the same time that those are ready, it's time for their meeting. Taylor sets up her laptop on the coffee table and the two sit on the couch together, dialing into the call. They're one of the first ones there.

"Hi Taylor and Joe," Levi says when they enter the room. "How are you two?"

"We're good," Taylor smiles. "My parents offered to stay with Ayla for a few days, so we decided to come up to Rhode Island for a little getaway in my beach house, which has been really nice."