.3.

Chapter 3

I think Darcy might be a little high.

After a long morning of packing up my stuff, she invited me over to Windchime Manor so that she could show me around. It's about an hour drive away but I thought it would be best to have a look around before I get properly settled, especially after Samantha planted a little seed of doubt in my mind. As soon as I drive up to the mansion, realising for the first time how impressive this place really is, Darcy is stood waiting for me.

She's wearing a tight, emerald green dress with a formal black coat, her long legs emphasized by the black heels she's wearing. She would be the epitome of a woman who has her shit together, if only her eyes weren't wide and bloodshot and there wasn't the slight scent of weed in the air. I try not to judge her too harshly as I step forward and shake her hand, knowing I look much worse off than she does and I'm not the one who is as high as a kite right now.

"Darcy," she greets, giving me a close-lipped smile. "So lovely to meet you."

"Ember," I tell her, although she already knows. Well, she knows my name is November, but it's rare that I'm called by my full name, even when I'm in trouble. "It's nice to meet you too."

"Well, we must get started right away. There's so many rooms in this place, it's already starting to make my head spin," she laughs, a little too loudly, before turning and unlocking the huge front doors. I can hear the hint of a New York accent in her voice. "You'll be given your own key tomorrow, of course, along with one to access the garage, the basement and the attic. Although, I had a look around them myself a few days ago and I'd recommend staying away from the creepy rooms."

"Right..." I say, distracted by the interior of the grand entrance. Straight away I see the staircases draped in plush white carpets, the crystal chandelier glittering in the sunlight pouring in from stain-glass windows. There's a small table in the centre of the room, a beautiful vase holding a bouquet of a variety of different flowers. It's the most gorgeous space I've ever landed eyes on, and I'm still in shock that all of this is mine.

"Honestly, if this place wasn't snatched up by you, I would have bought it for myself in a heartbeat," Darcy gushes.

"It's amazing," I say, soaking everything in.

She leads me into a nearby room. I expect it to be just as warm and inviting as the entrance, but this room feels as if it's part of an entirely different house.

Dust-covered bedsheets cover every bit of furniture and the wallpaper is peeling off the walls, exposing a sickly yellow paint. I look at Darcy and notice that her features have turned a little sour. "Unfortunately not as impressive. Matthew only managed to renovate the entrance before he got sick, bless his soul. I'm afraid many of the rooms have been left in this state."

I swallow a tiny lump in my throat. "That's okay," I say, nodding slightly. "It's something I can work on." I realise I sound a lot more confident than I feel.

"A girl with vision, I like it," Darcy says. She stumbles slightly in her heels as she walks over to the fireplace, but she just about manages to style it out. She runs a finger over the mantelpiece and grimaces at the dust she gathers. "This house has so much potential. It would be the biggest shame to waste it."

I nod my head in agreement, stepping slowly around the room. Seeing it so sad and empty creates a stir of stress in my stomach, but I exhale slowly and focus on the positives that will come out of this situation. I'll have a beautiful home that I can call my own. There's a village nearby where I'll meet new people. Jinx will have acres of fields and woodland to roam. I have a second chance at life.