.13.

Chapter 13

Landon is staying at the house again tonight, apparently not wanting to leave me upset by the experience with the medium. I don't try to protest, and we decide to have somewhat of an early night, climbing into bed in comfortable clothes and actually going to sleep this time. Although, I do take a minute to marvel at his strong features and chiselled jawline, skin speckled with freckles after spending most days out in the sun. Then I snuggle into him and fall asleep, hoping that he doesn't end up changing his mind about... whatever this is.

I wake up not much later when the sound of something buzzing cracks through the silence of the room. Tiredly rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I pick up my ringing phone to see it's only three in the morning-- certainly not the usual time I would receive a phone call.

Also, it's my older sister Samantha calling, which is even weirder.

I get out of bed, carefully as to not wake Landon up, and take my phone into the en suite bathroom while wrapping a dressing gown across my body. Pressing the phone to my ear, I instantly hear that Samantha is crying.

"Samantha?" I ask into the phone, catching a glimpse of myself in a mirror. My hair is a little bedraggled so I drag my hand through it, a poor attempt at fixing it. "What's up?"

"Oh Novy," she says, the tears evident in her trembling voice. My heart tugs with concern. It's always been my sister who is so strong and fearless, it's been a long time since I've had to comfort her. "I just... I'm missing you so much."

"Aw, I miss you too," I say. My bottom lip pouts slightly. I never thought Samantha would be this sad about us being apart.

"You need to come see me," she sobs. "I- I know that you're struggling with money at the moment but I'd love to see you again."

I hesitate for a moment, my fingers pressing against the cool metal of the sink tap. "You know I can't really do that, Samantha."

"I know but--" she hiccups. "I've been feeling so lonely recently. I miss Mum and Dad and Alex and you. I just want things to be normal again, like when we were kids. But nothing is the same any more."

"I know, I know," I say, trying to reassure her. But it's difficult to do so when I've had these exact thoughts before. I don't remember our parents. I barely remember Samantha or my brother. Barely having contact with the only family I have left can make it so lonely sometimes. "When I start to get some money I'll come visit you. I got a job so... hopefully that won't be too long."

"Wait, you got a job?"

My lips twitch up into a smile. "Yeah. In a bookshop in the village. I'm really enjoying it."

"Oh, Novy, that's amazing," she says, sounding genuinely happy for me. "I knew you'd find your place there."

I decide not to tell her more details about the hanging woman or the kids. We both need to get some sleep at this ridiculous hour in the morning. "Samantha, you're tired. We can call tomorrow, okay?"

I hear a sniffle on the other line. "Okay," she says. "You're right. I love you."

"I love you too."

The call ends and I take another glance at myself in the mirror, before I leave the bathroom. I remove the dressing gown and climb back into bed, moving closer to Landon. The movement of the bed wakes him up enough to wrap his arms around me.

"Where d'you go?" he asks groggily, closing his eyes again.

"I got a call from my sister," I mutter. "She was upset."

"Are you okay?"

Nodding, I move even closer to him, pressing my ice-cold feet on the insides of his warm legs. "I just want to see her."