1.6

ATALANTA SAT UP GASPING for air. She was shaking and a thin layer of sweat coated her body.

Annabeth and Grover were both up and Percy was still asleep, drooling like nothing else.

"Good you're up. Here's breakfast" Annabeth said throwing a bag of Doritos toward the Raven haired girl.

"Um thanks" Atalanta replied, happily opening the bag of chips and crunching away.

She loves Doritos. They definitely weren't enough for breakfast but they were too good to complain.

Remembering her dream the daughter of Hecate grabbed her journal out of her bag and wrote her dream down. Nightmares were usually important.

About 10 minutes after she was done eating her 'breakfast', Percy awoke.

"Well," Annabeth said, "the zombie lives."

Atalanta glanced at the 'zombie' and noticed how pale he was and how his hands were trembling.

"Are you okay?" She asked the newly awakened boy.

"How long was I asleep?" He asked instead, avoiding the question.

"Long enough for me to cook breakfast." Annabeth said as she tossed him a bag of the nacho-flavored corn chips from Aunty Em's snack bar. "And Grover went exploring. Look, he found a friend."

Grover was sitting cross-legged on a blanket with something fuzzy in his lap, a dirty, unnaturally pink animal.

It was a pink poodle. The poodle yapped at Percy suspiciously.

"No, he's not." Grover told the dog.

"Are you ... talking to that thing?" Percy blinked looking between Grover and the pink poodle in confusion.

The poodle growled.

"This thing," Grover warned, "is our ticket west. Be nice to him."

"You can talk to animals?" Percy asked, an amazed expression taking over his face.

Grover ignored the question. "Percy, meet Gladiola. Gladiola, Percy."

Percy stared at Annabeth, figuring she'd crack up at this practical joke they were playing on him, but she looked deadly serious.

He the turned to look at Atalanta. She nodded towards the poodle and gave a mocking wave.

"I'm not saying hello to a pink poodle," Percy said. "Forget it."

"Percy," Atalanta said. "I said hello to the poodle. Annabeth said hello to the poodle. You say hello to the poodle."

The poodle growled and bared it's teeth at Percy.

He said hello to the poodle.

Grover explained that he'd come across Gladiola in the woods and they'd struck up a conversation.

The poodle had run away from a rich local family, who'd posted a $200 reward for his return. Gladiola didn't really want to go back to his family, but he was willing to if it meant helping Grover.

"How does Gladiola know about the reward?" Percy tilted his head with a confused look.

"He read the signs," Grover said as if were the most obvious thing in the world. "Duh."

"Of course," Percy said, his words filled with sarcasm. "Silly me."

"So we turn in Gladiola," Annabeth explained in her best strategy voice, "we get money, and we buy tickets to Los Angeles. Simple."