Chapter One

I'm home

It was the 26th of March, a bright and sunny day. The empty bus slowly stopped and passengers started to fill it up. Stray sorries and excuses were thrown as people went around to look for a place to sit and settle.

A boy with ebony hair who was clearly a bit too tall, awkwardly sat at one of the seats at the back. A bulky, black bag saddled on his legs, he found himself situated beside a crying kid whose mother was shushing at.

He shifted and reached into his pocket and grabbed a candy — among the many he stashed for his trip — and met the gaze of the young mother, silently asking if it was okay to give the candy to her child. After a brief pause, she smiled and gently nodded her head.

Shin smiled and turned to the little boy who was now staring at him.

He chuckled and greeted, "Hello."

The little boy sniffled and smiled in return, eyes, nose and cheeks red from excessive crying.

"Here," Shin handed the candy to the kid, "My name is Shin, what's your name?"

"Kenta," the little boy choked, receiving the candy and slowly unwrapping it.

"Wow, that's a great name, mine's spelled with the kanji 心, it means heart," Shin explained, writing the kanji on air. "I just returned to Japan today actually," he smiled.

Kenta cocked his head in curiosity, "Where were you before coming here?"

"Oh, I was living in America, my family is still there actually." Shin answered gently, recalling the goodbyes that happened just a few hours ago; some more tearful than others.

"America, really?" Kenta straightened looking intently at Shin, eyes sparkling. "International and stuff? The ol- oily- um...," He turned to his mom, eyes pleading for help. She smiled softly and whispered, "Olympics, dear."

"Yeah! The olympics! They were held there recently, weren't they?" He zealously turned back to Shin, eyes shining.

"Oh yeah, me and my family went and watched it live." Shin indulged the young'un.

"You watched it live? Truthfully?" Kenta went in and got closer to Shin. The child's mother gently scolded him and made him sit back down.

"Uh-huh, we really did. It was great!" Shin chuckled softly at the happiness he saw in the child. "Why? Do you have any interest in Olympic sports?"

Kenta fiercely nodded his head, "I love skating! It's really great, my cousin started competing too. I was crying earlier 'cuz I really wanted some skates but they were too expensive." And the child once again frowned when he finished his sentence. Popping the candy in his mouth, he smiled once more.

"Is that right? I find skating great as well. I also skate once in a while, not that I am great by any means." Shin quickly dissuades when he saw Kenta looking more and more ready to burst with excitement.

For a couple hours Shin conversed with young Kenta, his mother piping up once in a while but overall staying quiet, occupied with her craft. She had pulled knitting tools not long ago after they reached the first hour mark.

Their discussion soon ended when Kenta's eyes started to droop, his figure swaying and with constant yawning to boot.

The kid ended up sleeping against his mother. Both Shin and the woman nodded to each other politely, smiling softly towards Kenta and kept the silence. The sun was already painting the skies with beautiful shades of oranges, pinks and purples; an indication that night would soon befall on them.