━ Chapter Three

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━III

III. 𝗩𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗱𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

 𝗩𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗱𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

AKEMI SPENT HER LIFE CHASING VALIDATION. Everything she did was for other people. She did it to hear their praise and to see them pleased with her.

So, she chased after her brother every time he would abruptly leave a room. He had their father's temper so she knew that him being left alone would only lead to destruction. Even though he acted brash with her, she knew that after the anger died down that he appreciated her, perhaps slightly overbearing, love for him.

"Zuko," she called after her brother, "Zuko, wait!"

Her brother listened begrudgingly, stopping in his tracks until she was at his side. "What do you want, Akemi," he asked harshly.

Her face fell and grew stony. Of course, she'd become accustomed to his rudeness from spending the last three years with him like this, but she'd foolishly thought that finding and capturing their ticket home that he'd finally be happy. "Are you not excited? We can go home, we can see Azula and father!" She spoke with such enthusiasm that he scowled further.

Zuko had never been the sibling Akemi favoured and it often showed. Maybe it was the fact that while their mother would play with her oldest child, Akemi was forced into the role of caring for Azula. She never once blamed Ursa for this, Azula was a troublesome girl, but it simply made her drift from her older brother at a young age.