Chapter 5

A few weeks later Frank and I were continuing being secretive but we thought the girls were catching on so we weren't sure what we were going to do. I was working one morning when I got a phone call to go to Remy's school immediately and I was so concerned because school hadn't been in session long. I pulled in the parking lot and got out of the car as I saw Frank getting out of his truck.

"Fancy meeting you here." I said and Frank laughed.
"Do you know what this is about?" Frank asked and I shook my head.

"Girls probably talking too much in class." I said and we laughed. We walked into the school together and I saw the girls sitting in the office.

"Frank..." I said worried and I walked in to see Remy upset as was Mary. We both crouched down in front of them.

"Hey, you girls okay?" I asked and I placed my hand on Remy's cheek and took Mary's hand. They didn't say anything.

"Mr. Adler, Ms. Masters. Can we talk?" The principal said coming out of her office.

"I'm checking on my daughter, give me a minute." I said annoyed.

"Ms. Masters, please." The principal said. Frank placed a hand on my arm.

"They are okay, let's go." Frank said and I sighed. I kissed the top of Remy's head and we headed into the principal's office.

"What is going on?" I asked and we all sat down.

"Mr. Alder, Ms. Masters. We had to call this meeting because Mary and Remy got into a fight this morning on the bus." The principal said.

"They got in a fight? They are friends, what happened?" Frank asked as I looked confused.

"No, not with each other. There was an altercation." The principal said.

"What kind of altercation?" I asked.

"An older kid tripped another one of their friends and made him ruin his class project. This upset Remy and Mary so they both walked up to the bigger kid and punched him in the nose. They broke his nose." The principal said and I groaned placing my head in my hands and Frank put a hand on my back knowing exactly what I was thinking.

"So where do we go from here?" I asked lifting my head.

"Well there has to be some form of punishment." The principal said and I groaned.

"Oh please! They were defending a fellow classmate and friend. What would you guys have done to the older student if they girls hadn't taken action? Nothing I know that for a fact." I said pissed off.

"Ms. Masters please understand we have a zero-tolerance policy." The principal said.

"Okay, do we maybe think we could overlook this one instance. We will talk to our girls and let me know what they did as wrong. Please let us handle this." Frank said and the principal sighed and nodded.

"They wont get a second chance." She said and we stood up and walked out. We reached the girls and I held out my hand to Remy and she took it. We all made it out to the parking lot.

"Hey, why don't we all go get something to eat and take it back home." Frank said and I nodded.

"Want me to take the girls home and you pick up food?" I asked and Frank nodded. Once I got the girls to my house Frank showed up a little bit after and I was just pacing in the living room as the girls sat in Remy's room. Frank walked in the house and set the food on the coffee table, he wrapped me in a hug.

"You okay?" Frank asked.

"Did she learn violence from me staying with her dad too long? Is this my fault?" I asked as tears filled my eyes.