1

"But papa, you know how those bandits are." You frowned, quickly following beside your father's horse as he exited the stable. "They're dangerous, they won't let anyone get in their way."

Your father was a very stern, strong man. No wonder he was the best damn sheriff in town. But no matter how strong he was, it always scared you when he went out to finish a job. Especially when it came to this group of bandits.

They had been terrorizing your town for months now, and not one person had been able to catch them. Hell, no one had even seen any of their faces.

Bandits usually worked in groups, and in this case, there was three of them. Everywhere they went witnesses could hear them laughing, which eventually led the town to refer to them as the "Chuckle Boys". After every crime they've committed, townsfolk could always hear them laughing and howling in the distance. Almost as if it was a taunt of some sort.

"This is my job, sweetheart. You know I'll be fine. Besides, maybe we'll manage to catch these slimey bastards." Your father huffed out, placing his pistol in his holster. "Just stay here at the station, and feed the horses while you're at it, would ya?"

Crossing your arms, you let out an aggravated huff. "Fine, but please be careful, Papa. 'Ma doesn't want you drinking at the saloon and missing dinner again."

All your father did was laugh a bit to himself, before gripping onto the reigns of his horse and taking off. You let out an aggravated sigh before walking into the stable, grabbing a few things to feed to the remaining horses. While you were at it, you refilled their water trough, just so they'd have something to drink.

Once done with that task, you headed into the sheriff's station. Everyone knew who your father was, so seeing you at the station was a common occurrence. Though your father was the head sheriff, that didn't make him the only sheriff. In fact, your friend Wilbur had been one for a while now.

You had known Wilbur almost for as long as you'd been alive. The two of you used to run around as little kids, chasing different animals around and trying to catch them. Wilbur had always been fascinated by your father's work, so it didn't surprise you when he did everything to get the position when it opened up.

Funny enough, your parents had even tried to set you up with him time to time. But he was pretty much your best friend, and you wanted nothing more.

"Y'know, I heard your argument with your dad. He's just trying to protect the town, Y/N, I wouldn't hassle him too much." Wilbur said with a small chuckle, leaning back in his chair.

Rolling your eyes, you walked over and sat down, crossing your arms as you leaned back slightly. "Either way, 'Ma would only scold him for the same things. If he were to get hurt.. or worse, we wouldn't know what to do."

Wilbur hummed before slowly standing up, beginning to organize a few things on his desk. "I'm just saying, he already goes through a lot on the job." He chuckled a bit. "Say, here in a bit, you want me to give you a ride back to your house? I wouldn't mind to. We could explore a bit on the way too."

"You sure, Wil? I mean, a ride would be nice. 'Ma will probably want me home to help with supper." You said with a small nod. "When will we go?"

Glancing out the window, Wilbur cracked his knuckles and sighed. "Maybe in just a bit, I've still got some tidying up to do around here. Since you already took care of the horses, though, it shouldn't be long."

Like Wilbur said, it wasn't long until he got finished with the rest of his tasks, and the two of you walked out to the stable together. You leaned against a support beam while Wilbur opened one of the stalls and gently led his horse, Vienna, out of it.