10

"Pa.. what are you talking about?" You spoke softly, yet nervously. Of course, Charlie was a criminal. But your father wouldn't know that. Right?

Keeping the gun aimed right at Charlie, your father kept his grim expression, his finger just itching to pull the trigger. "He's one of those damn Chuckler's, Y/N. I knew that lip scar from anywhere." He spat, squinting his eyes slightly. "Step away from him, Y/N. He's dangerous."

Charlie seemed completely frozen in that moment, like a deer who had just been spotted in the middle of the forest. His hands trembled at his side, his teeth biting down against his cheek.

"He's not as dangerous as you think- please, just lower the gun-" You spoke cautiously, attempting to calm your father's nerves.

His gaze snapped to you for a moment, his brows forrowing as he scowled. "So you knew, huh? One of the men who's made our lives a living hell, and he stayed the night in my own house. Right under my nose." Your father said with a slight growl, his gaze moving back to Charlie once again. "Y/N. Back away from him. I don't want to risk hitting you."

You felt your stomach drop, staying right where you were in that moment. You couldn't help but glance at Charlie, the fear in his eyes spreading to you. He was terrified in that moment, his body trembling as he knew this was it.

Not on your watch, though.

Slowly, you began to take a few steps towards your father, his eyes still locked on Charlie, observing every move he Once you got close enough, you made the riskiest move you'd ever make.

Grabbing onto the gun, you lifted it in the air, attempting to take it out of your father's hands. "Charlie, go! Take Basil and go!" You shouted at him, holding the gun as tightly as you could, not allowing your father to take proper aim.

As soon as you shouted to him, Charlie bolted out the door, out of your father's vision. Once you knew he was far enough away, you shoved your father back, watching as he fell over a chair before taking the gun and throwing it aside. Once you were sure it was out of his reach, you raced outside after Charlie.

He had hopped onto Basil's saddle, but as soon as he saw you, he waited as he anxiously gripped the reigns. "Come on, hurry!" He shouted through the storm, almost taking off as soon as you hopped on the saddle.

You didn't dare look back as Basil ran straight towards the woods, hearing the screams of your mother and father fade against the pouring of rain. All you could do was hold tightly to Charlie as he guided Basil through the trees, whipping the reigns and calling out over the storm. "Go on, girl! Faster!"

The sound of pouring rain mixed with the loud crashing of thunder was enough to make your ears ache. You felt sick to your stomach, yet the adrenaline pumping through your veins kept your nausea at bay.

Between a wanted criminal and your poor parents, you chose the criminal.

One of the men who caused all of your problems in the first place.

It was hard to keep your eyes open at that moment. You shut them tightly, the mixture of the noises all around you making your head hurt. But after what felt like seconds, the two of you slowed down as the storm dissappear from the area the two of you had ridden into.

Guiding Basil underneath the bridge to shield the both of you from the drizzling rain, Charlie gave the exhausted horse a few pats, allowing her to catch her breath. Once he hopped onto the ground, he looked up at you, offering his hand. "Are you alright, Y/N?"

As you grabbed onto his hand and hopped onto the ground, everything that had just happened finally hit you. You pushed your father to the ground and ran away with a criminal.