You Are My Sunshine

(Character death warning)

A fearless battle was being fought valiantly. It was two against one. Shikadai and Mitsuki vs a single rogue shinobi. The two boys were clearly winning without struggle.

In a sudden turning of tides, the enemy stabbed through Mitsuki's stomach. They then retreated in fear and loss. Shikadai ran over, adrenalin flooding his veins as his blood ran cold at the sight.

Mitsuki was covered in blood, crouched down, trying desperately to stop the bleeding. His bi-colored kimono was stained red, drenched with blood. The blue boy's yellow eyes were cloudy with pain. His breathing was ragged and difficult.

Shikadai began trying to wrap the wound, keeping as much pressure as he could on it. The bleeding wouldn't stop though. Tears rolled down his face as he kept trying. Pressure and bandages, blocking the area with chakra, more pressure and bandages.

All of his efforts were in vain. Only a medical nin would've been able to save Mitsuki.

As the last few breaths were drawn, a pale hand reached up to gently hold Shikadai's face. "Shikadai... Shika-Shikadai, listen..." He faced Mitsuki, still trying to stop the bleeding. "Boru-Boruto may b-be my Sun, but y-you were always my o-oce-ocean... The waves of l-life... I'm s-s-sorry..." With those final words, Mitsuki drew his last breath. His golden eyes closed one last time. His hand fell from his comrade's cheek, landing on the red stained grass.

Shikadai was in shock, trying to wake Mitsuki. He wasn't ready to say goodbye, he wasn't ready to let go.

The wind held a special song as Shikadai carried Mitsuki back to Konoha. "A whisper of life, a whisper of death. Hold the hands of the ones you love as they fade away. Take your last breaths by their side, cry your tears, say goodbye."  It sang quietly to those who knew what to listen for.

As he walked, Shikadai swore he felt a hand on his shoulder or holding his hand at any given moment. He would turn to see who it was, but no one was there. It was simply just moonlight  filtering through the trees.

A voice called out "I'm here with you, Ocean Boy.." It sounded so familiar, is close, so caring. Shikadai started crying all over again as an invisible hand held his again. "Don't cry, Deer..." In a patch of moonlight, Shikadai could've sworn he saw Mitsuki standing there. Smiling and waving, completely unhurt. But when he looked again, he was gone.

Mitsuki was still dead in his arms.