Chapter 2

Later that night, Queen Sally came to meet her son. She found him sitting on his couch, head in his hands.

Sally sat next to her son and put her arm around his shoulder. He leaned into her touch and looked at her, confused and angry.

"Why is he doing this? Why?" Percy asked helplessly.

His mother sighed and said, "To take people's mind off the problems. He thinks they need a distraction. A Selection is the best he can think of."

"The people need solutions not stupid distractions!" He said desperately.

"I know. I know. I tried to explain it to him. But he is very convinced that it will work. I'm not very sure though."

Percy inhaled deeply and said, "How did Annabeth react?"

"She doesn't know." Sally replied cautiously.

"What?!" He asked for the third time that night. He had stood up, outraged and shocked.

"She hasn't been informed yet." His mother repeated gently. "Your father thinks its for the best."

"I DON'T CARE WHAT THAT DOUCHE THINKS." Percy screamed, furious.

Sally sat there in shock for a moment and then before she could say anything, the chamber doors burst open to reveal a fuming King. His face was red from anger, eyes as wide as they could get.

He turned to his wife and said in a deadly calm voice, "Out."

"Your Majes–" The Queen started to say, but was cut of by the King's booming roar.

"OUT!"

Sally jumped up and scurried over to the door. She threw a worried look at her son before exiting.

"Close the door!" Gabe called out to the guards stationed outside the chamber. Jason Grace and Frank Zhang threw a scared look at their friend, the Prince, before carrying out the King's orders.

Gabe then turned towards Percy, who was transfixed in shock and fear. King Ugliano stormed towards his stepson and grabbed him by the front of his sweatshirt. He was a bit shorter than Percy, but still looked insanely scary.

"What did you call me, punk?" Gabe asked through gritted teeth.

Percy stayed quite knowing that any sound he made would lead him to greater trouble.

Gabe pushed him down on the floor. He took off his belt with lightning speed and it came down on the Prince's back with as much force as possible.

Percy grunted which caused another whip, with even more force.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Annabeth rushed down the hall towards Percy's chambers. When she reached it, Jason said quickly, "Its bad this time." He opened the door and she slipped in quietly.

Walking into the bedroom, she saw her best friend lying on his chest, shirtless, sweating and in pain. There were long, angry red mark all over his back, and a few cuts oozing blood. The old scars made the scene even more gruesome.

Annabeth rushed over to his aid. She went to the bath chamber to retrieve the first aid kit. She cleaned the blood with a wet clothe and bandaged them, humming their song all the while. After she was done, she helped Percy sit up and propped him over some pillows.

Percy slowly opened his eyes and looked at Annabeth. His sea-green eyes stared up at her grey ones. He never felt more at home.

Percy wanted to fall asleep. He wanted to rest. But he needed to finish a work before that. He had a little question that he'd wanted to ask since he was 9 years old, and had got his first beating.