Chapter 36

I let out a sigh and shook my head as soon as I hung up with her. School. Not somewhere I wanted to go. Ever again.
"So?" Lauren inched closer.
"School. It's at school," I muttered, studying the ground.
"Son of a bitch. She's smarter than I thought." Lauren sounded almost
impressed with her mother.
What did this mean? Maybe she left her phone at school and was trying to
cover his ass. Maybe Madoc or one his pals had it, and they were covering for him. Or maybe it really was stolen.
I'd rather cut off my hair than face those people today. Or any day in the next hundred years. Eating squid or slamming my finger in a car door all sounded more appealing than braving those hallways. A few hours wasn't nearly enough time for everyone to move on to new gossip. I'd be the talk of the town for a long time. How could I even be considering stepping foot back on school grounds today?

"I see that look in your eye." Lauren looked down at me and spoke gently. "It's the look you get when you want to bolt. The look you get right before you decide to stay and fight."
"What am I fighting for?" I challenged, my voice hoarse.
She frowned. "We did nothing wrong, Camz."
She was right. I had nothing to be ashamed of. Granted, I hated that people
had seen what they did, but I gave my heart and body to someone I loved. There was nothing dirty in that.
"Let's go." I walked to my truck and opened the door.
Lauren had parked in front of me, and I cringed when I saw the damage I'd done to her car.
Shit.
If he was, in fact, guilty, then screw her and her dumb car. But if she was
innocent, then I didn't even want to think about how mad my dad was going to be when he saw the bill for repairs.
"Is . . . um. . . .is your car safe to drive?" I asked timidly.
A tired smile tugged at his lips. "Don't sweat it. It gives me an excuse to do more upgrades."

I filled my lungs with a deep breath, feeling like I'd been suffocated all day. The cool wind danced across my face and gave me a little more energy.
"Stop at your mom's firm and pick up her phone. I'll meet you at school." And I climbed into the truck and sped off.

***

Everyone was still in their final period, so Lauren and I walked silently through the halls without interruption.
"Is it still flashing?" I glanced over to her mom's phone in her hand.
"Yeah. I can't believe my phone is still on after two days. GPSs use a lot of battery." She was looking around, but I wasn't sure what for.

"Well, the video was sent this morning. If what you say is true, then whoever used your phone has probably charged it since Saturday night."
"If what I say is true. . . ." She repeated what I said in a whisper like she was aggravated I didn't trust her.
Part of me wanted to believe her. Desperately. But the other part of me was wondering why the hell I was here. Was I really entertaining the possibility that she didn't have anything to do with this? Wasn't it a little too farfetched that this was all put together without Lauren's help?
"Look," I said, trying to change the subject, "this tracker's only accurate within fifty meters. So . . ."
"So start dialing my phone. Maybe we'll hear it."
I slid my phone out of my back pocket and dialed his number, letting it ring and keeping our ears peeled for any noise. But our school was huge, and we had almost no time until last period ended, and the halls flooded with bodies.
Every time her voicemail picked up, I ended the call and redialed.
"Let's split up," I suggested. "I'll keep dialing. Just listen for a sound. I think it's in a locker."
"Why? Someone could have it on them, too."
"With me calling every ten seconds? No, they would've turned off the phone, in which case it would've gone straight to voicemail. It's on, and it's in a
locker." I nodded.

"Fine." Her voice was hesitant and a little biting. "But if you find it, call my
mom's phone immediately. I don't want you in the halls alone, not today."
I started to get my hopes up at his concern for me. This was the Lauren from
the past week. The one that held me and touched me gently. The one that cared. In that moment, I wanted to grab her and hold her close.