Accidental Friends

As Ophelia hopped off the bus, she stared in awe at her new school. She was rubbing her eyes in disbelief when a tall boy with dark maroon hair pushed her aside. He yelled, "Your in my way!" And then ran to the school like he was constipated. Ophelia sighed. Why did he have to be mean about it? He could have just said "excuse me". Ophelia wanted to correct him but he had already left. I hope everyone else here isn't so rude. She kicked a few rocks and skipped on to her new school, THE WONDERLUST ACADEMY.

The inside was big. There were so many kids inside, some talking and some finding they're way through the big crowds.
A paper with her name on it was carried over to her by a crow. What? How? Did they train it? She wondered.
"Actually, that's the janitor." Ophelia her a woman say from behind her. Did she just read my mind? Ophelia thought as she turned around to see her said that. A tall woman with blonde hair, tied up in a bun, answered Ophelia's thought. "Yes, yes I did." The woman said in a flat voice. Ophelia did know what to say. Instead, she just stood there, speechless. The woman gave Ophelia a nudge and said, "So? Are you going to class? You don't want to be late, young lady." Ophelia nodded, still speechless, and quickly walked away.
As she walked, she looked around. There were so many kids, different shapes and sizes. Some of them were new and many of them looked as if they knew the place. How will I ever "know the place"? It's too big! Ophelia wouldn't be surprised if she got lost in her new school every day of the whole year.

Following the map on the paper the crow, the janitor, gave her, Ophelia arrived at her classroom. There was a teacher sitting at a desk in the front of the classroom. Only three other kids were already there. A boy and two girls.
One girl asked, "Is anyone even using the paper Mr. Louis gave them?" Mr. Louis is probably that crow. Thought Ophelia.
The boy shrugged. "Probably not, we're the only ones here." The other girl whispered something Ophelia couldn't quite hear. The three kids all looked at Ophelia. She felt uncomfortable. Quietly, she sat down away from them, feeling embarrassed. Fortunately, the boy started talking again, and the kids attention moved away from Ophelia.

When most of the kids were seated, the teacher stood up and started talking. "Hello, most of my class, I am Mrs. Melody, your homeroom teacher. Welcome any new students!" She said in a tired voice. Mrs. Melody had a fake smile and kept checking the clock to see if the class had ended, even though it had just started.
"Today, you will have no work, sense you all have to move into your dorms and whatnot." Mrs. Melody said, with no smile on her face this time. Ophelia could hear small cheers coming from throughout the class.
"OMG, did you hear, no work today. Heaven!" Said one girl from a seat in the back of the classroom. Other people shared they're comments of excitement. Ophelia stayed quiet. Instead, she thought about her home, and unpacking.
"Class dismissed." Mrs. Melody said, interrupting Ophelia's thoughts. She hurried out of her seat and out of the classroom. In the hallway of her new school, Ophelia followed the map on her paper and walked to her dorm.

Ophelia opened her dorm room. The bright sun shown through the open window. The walls were yellow, and the floor was white. Ophelia never thought a simple room could look so light and airy. Her bed was mostly white, with a blue blanket. Beside her bed, there was a single night stand. On the other side of her room, there was a door, which led to her bathroom. There was also a set of drawers with a small plant on top. The rest of the room was pretty much empty so the kid moving in had room to put the stuff they wanted.
Ophelia sighed and plopped on her cushioned bed. It was so comfortable that she almost fell asleep. It was like sitting on clouds! But her fantasy ended when she was looked at her luggage and backpack on the floor of her new room. Right. Unpacking.

After what seemed like eighteen billion years, Ophelia was halfway done packing. I should probably take a break from packing. Also, its exhausting! She stood up, grabbed a chip bag from her backpack and left to go outside.

Ophelia squinted in the bright sun. Many kids were playing in the field. Sense nobody was there, Ophelia went to go sit on the bleachers. She silently watched the other kids play. She spotted this short boy with dirty blond hair. A much taller girl was talking to him. She had uneven short hair with bangs. It was light brown with an orange tint. "Hey short stuff, your little friend isn't here to save you anymore is he?" The girl said, picking on the short boy. When Ophelia looked closer, it looked like the boy was smiling.
"Hectra, what did I ever do to you?" The boy asked with a sad voice that didn't match his big smile. The girl, which Ophelia assumed was Hectra, laughed at the short boy. "Its 'cause your so easy to bully! Also, you have that dumb smile on your face all of the time " Hectra answered, and laughed. Before the short boy could say anything, Hectra pushed him down and stole his shoe. "What are you going to do now, huh? Call for your friend help so he can save you again!" Hectra said as she ran away laughing. The short boy did seem that offended. "Well, he could probably not hear me from here, sooo." The short boy said, with still a smile on his face. The constant smile kinda creeped Ophelia out.
Suddenly, the short boy turned towards Ophelia and started walking. She quickly turned away. Did he see me? The short boy sat on a level higher than Ophelia. Ophelia hoped that he didn't talk to her. He did.
"I bet you saw that." The boy said, meaning that she saw him get bullied. Ophelia didn't answer. "Kinda embarrassing for me, but hey, doesn't really matter." There was an awkward silence before the boy continued talking. He leaned forward and looked down at her before he said, "Hi, I'm Kyle, and I'm pretty sure you're new. Am I right?" Ophelia slowly nodded, avoiding eye contact. I can't just keep ignoring him or I'll end up a nobody like... Mike.
"I'm Ophelia." She said to Kyle.

After more awkward silence and Kyle staring at Ophelia, he hopped of of the bleachers and asked Ophelia, "Let's be friends, ok?" "Let's be friends?" Already? Didn't we just meet? Even though Ophelia questioned it, she nodded, and Kyle skipped away with that same smile, leaving Ophelia to sit and think. Who was Hectra? And did I really just make a friend? "Friend," echoed threw Ophelia's head as she sat on the bleachers. Friend, she thought.

Even though she wasn't done packing, Ophelia brought out her trusty spell book. I'll finish packing later. Sometimes, later means never. Ophelia practiced humming the tune for the spell she was studying. She tried to clear her mind, which was harder than it sounded. She couldn't stop thinking of her new school. Finally, when she stopped thinking about her new school, she thought about her home. Her family. She stopped humming and listened for Mike. Don't get distracted, he's not here. He's at home. She sniffed the air for the sweet smell of something cooking in the oven. Mom's not here, she's at home! She told herself. She opened her eyes and looked around for her confused dad. Pay attention! Dad's not here! He's at home with the rest of the family! She told herself.
Ophelia realized that she hadn't been humming. At home with the rest of the family. Without me." She laid on the hard wood floor and missed her family. Her home...